First Thursday brings excitement to the Benton

0
5

The Benton show cased new art, brought in a therapy dog, and offered free polaroid photos to students.  Photo by by Mike McClellan/The Daily Campus

The Benton show cased new art, brought in a therapy dog, and offered free polaroid photos to students. Photo by by Mike McClellan/The Daily Campus

The William Benton Museum of Art and The Beanery hosted their monthly First Thursday event, yesterday. The event is held on the first Thursday of every month from 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. November’s First Thursday included an open mic next to The Beanery, an arts and crafts table on the second floor, therapy dogs, giveaways of Benton merchandise and free Insomnia Cookies. There was also music from DJ Ley and DJ Kalabi Yau that played on the second floor gallery.  

Multiple students came to the event, one being third-semester art history major Ava Solano who  volunteered First Thursday to pursue a possible career involved with museums.  

“My dream career is to be a curator for an art museum so I figure that getting involved with The Benton would be a good way to start that,” Solano said. “I originally applied for a job with The Benton but I didn’t get it so I contacted Amanda, which is the woman I work with, and [she] was like ‘oh we need an intern to work on First Thursday’ and I thought it would be a good way to get introduced and get into the museum setting.”   

Assistant Curator and Academic Liaison Amanda Douberley said First Thursday is a partnership with The Beanery in its second semester. 

“I started working at the museum two years ago and it seemed to me that we really needed an event that would allow students to just hangout,” Douberley said. “We [The Benton] did a survey of our student members and one of the questions that we asked was what kind of programs they’d like to see at the museum, so it sort of came out of that survey and also my being here.”  

Pet therapy at the Benton.  Photo by by Mike McClellan/The Daily Campus

Pet therapy at the Benton. Photo by by Mike McClellan/The Daily Campus

Third-semester women’s gender studies and sexuality and human rights major Johany Quiroz said this was her second time attending the event. 

“My favorite part is probably the dogs,” Quiroz said. “It was great. I’m usually always busy for them, so this was my first time actually being off and being able to come back but it was a great experience we [her and the people at the event] were able to have pet therapy and the environment was lovely and our work was amazing.”   

The next First Thursday is set to take place on Dec. 5, but feel free to check out the Benton during its normal hours from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. For more information regarding events at the Benton, visit their website or call them at (860) 486-4520.