In Case You Missed It: What happened this week in national news

0
0

Trump Foundation  

AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File

AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File

On Thursday, the New York Supreme Court ordered President Donald Trump to pay $2 million in damages to a collection of nonprofit organizations as part of a settlement from a June 2018 lawsuit accusing Trump and his three children of using funds from his charity, the Trump Foundation, for campaign means, according to The Hill. At an Iowa fundraiser during the 2016 election cycle, the Trump Foundation raised $2.8 million for military veterans, but the funds were instead used for the campaign and disbursed by campaign officials, Justice Saliann Scarpulla ruled. Justice Scarpulla lowered the damages from $2.8 million to $2 million, citing that the money still did eventually reach where it was supposed to go. The nonprofit organizations will also receive a share of the $1.8 million of the dissolving Trump Foundation’s remaining liquid assets.  

T.I.’s Daughter’s OBGYN Checkups 

Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File

In a recent interview with the podcast Ladies Like Us, rapper T.I. revealed he goes with his 18-year-old daughter Deyjah to her yearly gynecologist checkups to make sure her hymen is still intact, according to Business Insider. The hymen is a thin membrane that covers the opening of the vagina, however, it can be broken in ways not related to sexual activity or absent completely to begin with. T.I. responded in the interview by saying, “So I say, ‘Look doc, she don’t ride no horses, she don’t ride no bike, she don’t play no sports. Just check the hymen please and give me back my results expeditiously.’” T.I. immediately received backlash on social media, with Twitter users accusing him of “a complete invasion of privacy” and “emotional abuse” against his daughter.   

Michael Bloomberg Presidential Bid 

AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack, File

AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack, File

Former New York City mayor and billionaire Michael Bloomberg is reportedly considering entering the Democratic presidential primary in Alabama for the 2020 election, according to a report in the New York Times. Bloomberg reportedly sent staffers to Alabama to garner signatures for the primary ahead of today’s deadline to formally enter a presidential bid. Bloomberg is expected to make an announcement within days as to whether or not he will officially be running ahead of primary deadlines in other states of interest. Bloomberg has long supported liberal ideologies, such as gun control and climate change advocacy, but faces adversity for his stop-and-frisk policy as mayor and his views of the #MeToo movement. 

‘OK Boomer’

AP Photo/Nick Perry

AP Photo/Nick Perry

While giving a speech in the New Zealand Parliament supporting a climate crisis bill, 25-year-old lawmaker Chlӧe Swarbrick responded simply to an older member of Parliament who heckled her ideas during the speech. Swarbrick looked at the member and said, “OK boomer,” before continuing on with her statement and leaving the room in silence, according to CNN. The meme “OK boomer” was started on the app Tik Tok earlier this year and represents the irritation of millennials and generation Z towards baby boomers, who have long been accused of blaming younger people for economic and societal issues. Earlier this week, conservative talk show host Bob Lonsberry said in a later-deleted tweet that the term “boomer” is harmful, tweeting, “Boomer is the n-word of ageism. Being hip and flip does not make bigotry ok, nor is a derisive epithet acceptable because it is new.” The most popular response to 60-year-old Lonsberry’s tweet was, “OK boomer.” 

Rodney Reed  

Ricardo B. Brazziell/Austin American-Statesman via AP, File

A petition to save the life of Rodney Reed, a black man on death row in Texas with a scheduled execution date of Nov. 20, has now garnered over two million signatures toward the petition’s three million signature goal, according to Newsweek. In 1996, Reed was convicted of raping and murdering 18-year-old Stacey Stites, a white woman he had admittedly been having a consensual sexual relationship with. Investigators arrested Reed a year after the murder after investigators found his semen in Stites’ body. Reed has long maintained his innocence and claims that Stites’ ex-fiance, Jimmy Fennell, killed Stites. Fennell was released from prison in 2018 after serving a 10-year sentence for kidnapping and improper sexual activity with a person in his custody. Reed has claimed that Fennell was angry that Stites was being unfaithful with a black man. Reed’s prosecution has also presented a new affidavit from one of Fennell’s co-inmates, who said Fennell bragged about killing Stites and made racist comments towards Reed. Texas Governor Greg Abbott has not responded to the demands despite celebrity and community pushback. 

Taylor Harton is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at taylor.harton@uconn.edu.