CLAS Careers in Media night to feature discussion, networking

0
0

University of Connecticut students interested in a media career can attend the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences’ Careers in Media Night tomorrow from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Alumni Center. 

The event is open to all class years and majors. It will feature CLAS alumni who will share information about their career paths and personal experiences in both roundtable and networking formats, according to Kristen Soprano, the event manager and a CLAS career consultant. 

“The roundtable networking follows a structure very similar to speed networking, in which there will be three rounds of conversations lasting around 20 minutes each with a five-minute break in between rounds for students to rotate to new tables,” Soprano said. “Once the three networking sessions have ended, students and alumni are encouraged to continue the conversations with an hour of open networking, during which desserts and beverages will be served.” 

The alumni attending include Boston Red Sox Media Relations Assistant Michael Sivo, Middlesex Health Network Public Relations Director Amanda Falcone, Hartford Courant Staff Writer Kathleen McWilliams and UConn Daily Co-Founder John Silver, according to the Center for Career Development website.

Soprano said prior to the event that students are encouraged to visit the Career Night website to familiarize themselves with the list of participating alumni and to search the attendees on LinkedIn for additional information. 

“If a student is new to networking, or just looking for some helpful tips, they can visit the CCD On Demand section of our website to view a variety of instructional videos on networking etiquette,” Soprano said. 

Soprano said she encourages students to attend the event to help them narrow down career choices. 

“Attending CLAS Career Night: Careers in Media will provide students exposure to various career opportunities in the media industry by engaging with CLAS alumni and learning about their personal career journeys while simultaneously gaining insight about how to best prepare for their own future careers,” Soprano said. “It will also help students develop their personal networks which can be a great advantage in the job search process.” 

Thumbnail photo courtesy of @uconnclas Instagram.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.