Football: Huskies play an awful, terrible, no good, very bad game at No. 20 Cincinnati

0
2

UConn loses to the Navy Midshipmen 10-56 on Friday night at Rentschler Field. UConn did not score in the second half, and the Midshipmen dominated the entire game scoring 14 points each quarter.  Photo by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus

UConn loses to the Navy Midshipmen 10-56 on Friday night at Rentschler Field. UConn did not score in the second half, and the Midshipmen dominated the entire game scoring 14 points each quarter. Photo by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus

Let’s start with the score: Cincinnati 48, UConn 3 

Now the total yardage: Cincinnati 507, UConn 218 

The 3rd down efficiency: Cincinnati 11/16, UConn 2/14 

And 4th down efficiency: Cincinnati 0/0, UConn 1/4 

With those numbers, it’s no surprise that UConn lost the way they did. The game was a train wreck from start to finish. The Huskies punted on six-straight drives to start the game, a streak that was finally broken by an interception on fourth down. 

Meanwhile, the defense let Cincinnati score on six of their seven first-half drives, and by the time halftime hit, it was 38-0 Bearcats. 

They also got called for two targeting calls in the first half, the first one on Omar Fortt and the second one on Dillon Harris. After the second one, head coach Randy Edsall was visibly upset with the officials, and even threw his headset to the ground.  

“I didn’t agree with the targeting calls,” Edsall said. “[On the first one], I was told it was a bad call, it shouldn’t have been called, it shouldn’t have been upheld by review, is what I was told. And then the second one I was told supposedly they felt that that guy was a defenseless player and he really took a hard hit. Well, I didn’t realize taking a hard hit was targeting. If they’re going to call those things as targeting, we might as well stop playing the game of football.” 

“Art’s been productive in the role that we had him in,” Edsall said. “Art’s not as big and strong and can’t do some of the things that Kevin can do in turns of breaking one.”

If there was one positive from Saturday’s game, it was running back Kevin Mensah, who somehow managed to find space despite the offense’s inability to throw the ball. 

He finished the game with 24 rushes for 115 yards, good for 4.8 yards per carry. With how the game went, it’s a miracle he even got over three – that’s how hard he had to work for every yard. 

It was the fifth time this season he rushed for over 100 yards, as he’s easily been the best and most effective player on the offense for the entire season. 

“Football is important to Kevin, it means a lot to him,” Edsall said. “He’s gonna do everything that he possibly can to be the best he can be each and every day. He goes hard in practice, he’s a great example for everybody else we have.” 

Complementary back and kick-returner Art Thompkins was also effective, taking his seven carries for a solid 55 yards, putting his yards per carry average at 7.9. 

Edsall echoed his statements on Mensah when talking about Thompkins, giving the lightning-and-thunder duo a lot of credit for what they have done this season. 

“Art’s been productive in the role that we had him in,” Edsall said. “Art’s not as big and strong and can’t do some of the things that Kevin can do in turns of breaking one. Art will make people miss, had a nice 30-yard run on the draw, doing a good job returning kicks for us. Those two guys, I like what they give you. I like what they give us each and every day in terms of their work ethic and their commitment to being the best they can each and every day.” 

The Huskies are off this week, and will host ECU on Saturday, Nov. 23 at Rentschler Field. 

Jorge Eckardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at Jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu. He tweets @jorge_eckardt31.