‘Last Christmas’ falls short of being new favorite holiday film

0
1
exc-5dc8b4e459401f78178cecf8

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, it’s definitely time to start binge-watching our favorite Christmas movies to get in a jolly mood. If you’re a lover of “Game of Thrones” and “Crazy Rich Asians” then you’ll love “Last Christmas” — a festive movie starring Emilia Clarke and Henry Golding. While it may not stay at the top of your must-watch holiday movie list, it’s enough to get in the spirit.  

Even though I won’t be rewatching “Last Christmas” every year, I have a soft spot for it due to the amazing cast. I’m a die-hard fan of Emilia Clarke and everything “Game of Thrones” related, which is what initially sparked my interest in the movie. However, “Last Christmas” is a perfect way to spend a Sunday night when searching for new movies to add to the collection. 

Clarke takes on the role of Kate, a Christmas shop employee who brutally fails every acting audition she attends. Kate recently had a heart transplant that changed her life completely and left her damaged beyond repair. Her strained relationship with her family leaves her contemplating sleeping on the streets, until a handsome boy named Tom begins following her around. “Last Christmas” takes you on Kate’s journey where she learns to navigate love, both for herself and others, while having to break a few barriers along the way. 

What I loved most about “Last Christmas” is the fact that it wasn’t entirely centered around the holiday. Essentially, it’s a classic love story with a festive twist. The only reason it’s considered holiday-oriented is because the setting is a Christmas shop where Kate works as an elf. Other than that, it focuses on the various relationships Kate struggles with during her life. Primarily, the one with herself, her mother and her sister.  

There are a few aspects of “Last Christmas” that I didn’t particularly enjoy. The first is the sense of humor. I may have a dry sense of humor, but I found most of the scenes that were meant to be funny were actually cringe-worthy. The producers were trying too hard to make the scenes relevant with current societal norms. For example, the man Kate has a one-night stand with says he has to run out and pick up ginger and beets for his famous morning juice. While there are many people who drink juice in the morning, it clearly is a trend specific to 2019. For that reason, it made the scene seem artificial and obviously scripted. I also strongly disliked the ending. I refuse to give away any spoilers, but let’s just say that Kate and Tom’s romance was very fantasized. In order to know more, you’ll have to watch it for yourself.  

Despite these few downsides, I would recommend “Last Christmas” to my family and friends. It’s not anything spectacular, but more a casual movie to pass some time.  

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars   

Thumbnail photo courtesy of @lastchristmasthemovie Instagram.

Jordana Castelli is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at jordana.castelli@uconn.edu.