People’s Choice Awards weren’t that popular

0
0
exc-5dca206232b58b23ecd1c617

The 45th E! People’s Choice Awards aired Sunday night. Winners of the night were Zendaya, BLACKPINK, and Noah Centineo.  Photo courtesy of    ew.com

The 45th E! People’s Choice Awards aired Sunday night. Winners of the night were Zendaya, BLACKPINK, and Noah Centineo. Photo courtesy of ew.com

If you heard some of the winners for the 45th E! People’s Choice Awards last night, you might have questioned the award show’s name. Some winners were obvious, like the record-breaking Marvel finale “Avengers: Endgame,” while others had viewers scratching their heads, like the fanfiction-inspired “After.” This may be a result of the option to cast votes via Twitter, similar to other popularity-based award shows, which favors the younger population that utilizes social media more frequently. Nonetheless, celebrities rocked the red carpet and supported their fellow nominees at one of the last awards shows for the year, hosted in Santa Monica. During the ceremony, Jennifer Aniston was honored with the Icon Award, a well-deserved and well-timed honor, with the 25th anniversary of “Friends” and her Instagram account being the fastest to reach a million followers just five hours after she created it.  

The final “Avengers” movie took home Movie and Action Movie of 2019, which wasn’t any surprise, as other nominees such as “Toy Story 4” and “Spider-Man: Far From Home” certainly were respectable but definitely didn’t break the box office as much as the former movie. However, in the Drama category, with recognizable titles such as “Rocketman,” “Us” and “Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile,” no one could predict the lack-luster teenage romantic drama “After” would take home this year’s prize. The live-action remake of Disney’s “Aladdin” was a safe winner for Family Movie of 2019, among a fairly respectable selection including the studio’s other live-action remake, “The Lion King,” the final “How to Train Your Dragon” movie and the sequel to “The Lego Movie.”  

Photo courtesy of    dailymail.co.uk

Photo courtesy of dailymail.co.uk

As for actors and actresses, superhero movies were the name of the game, with Robert Downey Jr. winning Male Movie Star, Zendaya winning Female Movie Star and Tom Holland winning Action Movie Star for their work in “Avengers: Endgame” and “Spider-Man: Far From Home,” respectively. Then some unexpected winners cropped up, and it was hard to tell whether the lack of selection or the skewed selection process bred these results. Against actors like Zac Efron, Lupita Nyong’o and Samuel L. Jackson, Cole Sprouse was awarded Drama Movie Star for his role in “Five Feet Apart,” a movie that I forgot existed. He also took Male TV Star for the year for his work in Riverdale, against actors like “Game of Thrones’” Kit Harrington and “This is Us’” Milo Ventimiglia.   

Another confusing win was Noah Centineo for Comedy Movie Star for the ho-hum Netflix movie, “The Perfect Date.” I thought Centineo was perfectly charming in “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before,” and if that movie had won an award (granted, it was from last year), I wouldn’t have batted an eye. But in comparison to Netflix’s objectively superior “Always Be My Maybe” with nominee Ali Wong, I thought this award was another irregularity. 

Photo courtesy of    seventeen.com

Photo courtesy of seventeen.com

The TV shows and music awards were more par for the course, with strong contenders like “Game of Thrones” and “Big Little Lies,” and well-deserved winners like “Stranger Things” for Show and Drama Show of 2019. Women led the way for the TV category, with the show’s female lead, Millie Bobby Brown, taking home Female TV Star, Zendaya taking Drama TV Star for her work in “Euphoria” and Kristen Bell taking Comedy TV Star for her work in “The Good Place.”  

The consistently entertaining “America’s Got Talent” and the “Ellen DeGeneres Show” each won Competition Show and Daytime Talk Show, respectively. DeGeneres also won Social Celebrity of 2019. The cult-favorite “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” took home Reality Show of 2019.  

Women-led K-Pop group BLACKPINK beat out the likes of the Jonas Brothers and BTS to win Group of 2019, as well as bringing home Music Video of 2019 for “Kill This Love” and Concert Tour of 2019 for their self-titled world tour. Shawn Mendes managed to snag Male Artist and Song of 2019 for “Señorita” with Camila Cabello. Taylor Swift’s “Lover” won Album of 2019.  

An award category that is less common but still well-deserved, Game Changer of 2019, saw female powerhouse Simone Biles take home the prize for her historic and first female triple-double and sixth-all around title for gymnastics. 

Hollie Lao is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.