UConn students can learn to teach CPR

0
0

UConn students will have the opportunity to teach CPR to students, faculty, and administration. Classes are expected to open in February or March.  Photo courtesy of    flickr.com

UConn students will have the opportunity to teach CPR to students, faculty, and administration. Classes are expected to open in February or March. Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Students at the University of Connecticut have the opportunity to teach CPR to UConn students, faculty and administration, according to Justin Pedneault, UConn alumni and AHA Training Site Coordinator for UConn Rescue. 

“This application is for students interested in becoming American Heart Association basic life support (BLS) instructors,” Mitali Banerjee, President and Training Coordinator for UConn Rescue and seventh-semester PNB major, said. “Once students become a certified instructor they can teach on campus with us, or off campus through our training program and anywhere else through the AHA whether it is CPR for healthcare providers or for non-medical professionals.”  

Pedneault and Banerjee said they are looking for student applicants who have some kind of medical background, which could include anyone pre-PA or pre-med, nursing students, EMT or EMI-trained students or anyone with some kind of medical understanding.  

“It is a lot of teaching, coordinating with Mitali, working with students, community members and faculty members because the classes are good use to everybody so you need to have the personality to be able to teach CPR and hold a test to a dean of a school,” Pedneault said.  

Once applications close, Pedneault and Banerjee will review them and begin to interviews before the semester ends.   

“The class should be in February or March. That is historically what we’ve done and it’s typically an all day Saturday event with another evening for a couple hours so it’s about a total of 12 hours of instructor training,” Pedneault said. 

Before instructor certification, students will teach a class with Pedneault or Banerjee in order to complete the last step in the process.  

“After that 8 to 12 hour class, they have to student teach one class with myself or Mitali and they’ll have a part of the class that they teach on their own and after that they will get their instructor cards and be completely good to teach on their own,” Pedneault said. 

Pedneault said there are some costs associated with the instructor training to cover class materials and books.

Students also receive a stipend for each class they take, which varies based on experience and the class.  

“Whether you’re the lead instructor for that class, or if that is a class at Storrs or a regional campus, they do get a stipend for the classes that they teach but it does vary quite a bit,” Pedneault said. 

Banerjee encourages students to try teaching and said they are looking for six new student instructors.  

“This is really worthwhile and different from other opportunities that you could find on campus,” Banerjee said. “I don’t really know anything else that is like this because it’s not the same as being a TA, because you’re in charge of your own class, and while TAs are as well it’s in a very different way.”  

Applications for UConn Rescue’s CPR instructor class are due Friday at 5 p.m.

Naiela Suleiman is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at naiela.suleiman@uconn.edu.