WBB: Homecoming for Dangerfield as Huskies head down to Nashville

0
0
exc-5dcb66209b612d4aef725b7c

To start their season, the UConn Women’s basketball team defeats California on Sunday, November 10 at Gampel Pavillion. Christyn Williams leads the team with 24 points.  Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

To start their season, the UConn Women’s basketball team defeats California on Sunday, November 10 at Gampel Pavillion. Christyn Williams leads the team with 24 points.
Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

Crystal Dangerfield and the Huskies will be going on their first road trip of the season as they travel down to Nashville, Tennessee for a Wednesday night game against Vanderbilt. 

Dangerfield was born and raised in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, where she attended Blackman High School just 30 miles southeast of Vanderbilt University.  

“I think it will be special. It will give people who haven’t seen me play in four years the chance to see me play again,” Dangerfield said. “It will be good to see some family, friends and shout out to my nephew!” 

The Huskies are off to a 1-0 start to the 2019-20 season after a 72-61 win over California. Christyn Williams played all 40 minutes and led the way with 24 points on 10-17 shooting, along with seven rebounds, three assists and two steals.  

Megan Walker and Olivia Nelson-Ododa each had double-doubles despite getting into foul trouble, with the former having 21 points and 10 rebounds and the latter with 11 and 13. ONO also had three steals and three blocks. 

Though Dangerfield played all 40 minutes, she seemed to have an off game, by her standards. She recorded 14 points on 5-14 shooting, five rebounds, two assists, one steal and three turnovers. 

Though Dangerfield is typically tasked with running the half-court offense, she knows that the Huskies are at their best when they force turnovers and get out running in transition. 

“I think we can be more aggressive on both ends of the floor,” Dangerfield said. “Getting up on people, forcing turnovers and then down on the offensive end and just running down people’s throats.” 

UConn had just 11 fast break points against California.  

Vanderbilt is also off to a perfect start to the season after wins over Jacksonville State and Radford.  

“Vandy is playing well this year, so it will be a good game,” Dangerfield said. 

In their most recent game against Radford, redshirt senior Mariella Fasoula went off for 29 points on 23 shots, and also added 11 rebounds. The Greek forward was Vanderbilt’s highest scorer and rebounder last season, averaging 15.9 points and 7.2 rebounds per game. 

She was able to hurt Radford with second chance points, as she pulled down five offensive rebounds. Nelson-Ododa and Walker will have to crash the glass to minimize the Fasoula’s impact on the game.  

Another way to keep her off the boards is by keeping her off the floor. Jacksonville State got Fasoula to foul out of their game against Vanderbilt in just 19 minutes. She was only able to score eight points and perhaps she was trying to force things, as she turned the ball over four times. 

Going right at Fasoula early when she’s on the defensive end can get her some quick fouls. With her 6-foot 5-inch frame, she is likely to matchup with Nelson-Ododa, who measures up to the same height. That will be the matchup to watch in this game. 

UConn and Vanderbilt will play Wednesday night at the Memorial Gymnasium in Nashville, Tennessee. Tipoff will be at 7 p.m.

Sean Janos is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu. He tweets @seanjanos.