Select Connecticut Medicaid members get transportation to appointments 

0
5

A Reddit post on Nov. 2 on the UConn Reddit page said that UConn students with certain Medicaid insurances can take Medicab, a ride service, to any appointment.  Photo by    Martha Dominguez de Gouveia    on    Unsplash

A Reddit post on Nov. 2 on the UConn Reddit page said that UConn students with certain Medicaid insurances can take Medicab, a ride service, to any appointment. Photo by Martha Dominguez de Gouveia on Unsplash

Connecticut residents with Husky A, C or D Medicaid insurance can be provided with non-emergency medical transportation if they have no other way of getting to their medical, behavioral health or dental appointments, Gabriel Fallas, Veyo client services manager, said.  

A Reddit post on Nov. 2 on the UConn Reddit page said that UConn students with certain Medicaid insurances can take Medicab, a ride service, to any appointment. Fallas said that Medicab is only a small part of services insurance holders can access.  

Screenshot from    Reddit

Screenshot from Reddit

“[Non-emergency medical transportation] can refer to a wide range of transportation needs that include gas reimbursement, livery, ambulance level service, standard [or] bariatric wheelchair and public transit,” Fallas said. “Typically Medicabs are used interchangeable with livery service, although the terminology is not very common outside of a healthcare provider setting.”  

Fallas said that transportation service is a federally mandated benefit to members of the Medicaid community. Although these services have been available for decades, Veyo, the non-emergency medical transportation broker, has been working with Connecticut for two years. Their goal is to make sure that Medicaid members have the ability to go to their appointments.   

“Research has proven that most members under Medicaid are unable to access their healthcare appointments through public transportation or do not have access to a vehicle,” Fallas said.  “Medicaid members are also more likely to miss their appointments without having steady reliable transportation.”  

>
We strive to ensure that all trips through Veyo are timely, safe and provide a memorable experience to the member.
— Gabriel Fallas, Veyo client services manage

According to the Veyo website, the services are available to members who “cannot drive themselves and/or do not have a neighbor, friend, relative or voluntary organization that can transport them to their appointment.” The members must prove that they are attending a Medicaid-covered medical, behavioral health or dental appointment and have no other way of getting there.   

If one is eligible for transportation with Veyo, Fallas said that they can call to schedule an appointment.    

“All Veyo transportation providers are specially trained to serve the Medicaid community,” Fallas said. “We strive to ensure that all trips through Veyo are timely, safe and provide a memorable experience to the member.”  

Fallas said that it is important to have these services because it helps those who do not have the means or ability to travel to their appointments without help.  

“Low income families or individuals with disabilities/serious medical conditions have this service to help alleviate the stress of traveling to and from their appointments,” Fallas said. “Without [non-emergency medical transportation], individuals would have to continually search for someone to give them a ride or spend large sums of their income to cover the costs of private transportation for their daily or weekly medical appointments.”  

Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.