Volleyball: UConn’s 2019 season closes with two home matches

0
3

The UConn's women's volleyball team takes on the UCF Knights in its final match of the 2019 season at Gampel Pavilion on Saturday, Nov 16, 2019. The Match resulted in a 3-1 win for UCF.  Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus

The UConn’s women’s volleyball team takes on the UCF Knights in its final match of the 2019 season at Gampel Pavilion on Saturday, Nov 16, 2019. The Match resulted in a 3-1 win for UCF. Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus

This week, the UConn women’s volleyball team reached the end of its 2019 season at Gampel Pavilion with a Thursday match against USF followed by a Saturday match against UCF. The Huskies swept USF 3-0 but were defeated by UCF 3-1. UConn has a final overall record of 12-16 and a final American Athletic Conference record of 6-10 for 2019. 

Thursday evening’s match between UConn (12-6, 6-10 The American) and USF (7-23, 1-15 The American) showed the Huskies to be the dominant team. The two teams’ first 2019 matchup had the same result of 3-0 for UConn, but the margin of victory was smaller this time. Each set had a final score of 25-20 while the smallest margin earlier in the season was 25-17. 

The UConn's women's volleyball team takes on the UCF Knights in its final match of the 2019 season at Gampel Pavilion on Nov 16, 2019. The Match resulted in a 3-1 win for UCF.  Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus

The UConn’s women’s volleyball team takes on the UCF Knights in its final match of the 2019 season at Gampel Pavilion on Nov 16, 2019. The Match resulted in a 3-1 win for UCF. Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus

While they did not deliver as many blocks as the Bulls, the Huskies controlled kills, digs, assists, and service aces on the court. UConn’s average hitting percentage was .258 over USF’s .182, displaying UConn’s greater ability to execute kills thought USF’s defense in this match. Sophomore outside hitter Anna Petrova had a strong presence in Thursday’s match. Petrova secured her third double-double of the season with 13 kills and 13 digs on top of two service aces. 

On Saturday at noon, UConn had its season finale against UCF (21-7, 14-2 The American), the No. 2 team in the American Athletic Conference. The first matchup between the two teams ended as a 0-3 loss for the Huskies. This time, UConn fought back even harder against the Knights, taking one of the sets 25-21; however, it could not keep up with the energy brought by UCF for the other 3 sets. 

While UCF was better at executing assists and kills, UConn brought defensive prowess and led over the Knights in digs and blocks. UConn finished the match with a hitting percentage of .119 to UCF’s .244. 

Along with Petrova, who added 10 more kills to her record on Saturday, other standout Huskies had impressive performances this weekend. Freshman setter Madi Whitmire added 63 assists to her record. Freshman outside hitter Jasmine Davis had 28 total kills and middle blocker and rightside hitter Kennadie Jake-Turner scored 17 total kills. 

UConn recognized senior defensive specialist Avery Spaziani on Saturday. Spaziani brought a total of 140 digs to the Huskies throughout the 2019 season.  

With a large returning squad and a promising freshman class moving into its second year, UConn begins to look ahead to its 2020 volleyball season. 

Judah Shingleton is a campus correspondent and senior staff photographer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at judah.shingleton@uconn.edu