‘Everybody’s Everything’ is a raw portrayal of the late emo-rapper Lil Peep

0
1
exc-5dd34d8bb036cc38a01e6307

‘Everybody’s Everything’ is the second album released of late rapper, Lil Peep. Along with the album, the ‘Everybody’s Everything’ documentary was released on Nov. 15, 2019.  Photo courtesy of    pitchfork.com

‘Everybody’s Everything’ is the second album released of late rapper, Lil Peep. Along with the album, the ‘Everybody’s Everything’ documentary was released on Nov. 15, 2019. Photo courtesy of pitchfork.com

‘Everybody’s Everything,’ the second posthumous release by Lil Peep, is a raw and emotional depiction of the late emo-rapper. The project, released on Friday, Nov. 15, is a mix of both new official releases and old favorites, and it coincides with the opening of a documentary of the same name that follows Peep’s life. 

Peep, born Gustav (Gus) Åhr, was a major emerging talent in the underground emo-rap scene before dying of an accidental overdose in Nov. 2017. 2018 saw the posthumous release of “Come Over When You’re Sober, Pt. 2,” an album curated and completed by Peep during his lifetime. “Everybody’s Everything” doesn’t have the same polished, cohesive sound of “Come Over When You’re Sober Pt. 2,” but is rather a collective of new, possibly unfinished demos along with classic Peep tracks that have never been released on an album before. 

“Everybody’s Everything” gets stronger as it goes on. The first few tracks seem to be the roughest demos, especially the songs “AQUAFINA (feat. Rich The Kid)” and “RATCHETS (feat. Lil Tracy and Diplo).” One of Peep’s strongest talents as an artist was his emotional and introspective lyrics, yet these two songs don’t portray that side of Peep. Rather, the tracks stick to the common surface-level themes of rap music involving drugs, girls and partying without the more poignant lyrics Peep is known for. 

The album features three collaborations with Gab3 entitled “Fangirl,” “LA to London” and “Rockstarz.” These tracks are much more pop-inspired than Peep’s usual sound, showing how Peep continued to experiment with mixing genres throughout his musical career. While these weren’t my favorite tracks on the album, they were certainly polished and well-produced, and reveal a different side of Peep’s artistry.   

One stand-out new official release is “Text Me (feat. Era).” This song reveals Peep in his most vulnerable state, which is arguably how his best music is created. His trademark raw vocals are paired with a simple acoustic beat, making it different from his typical use of trap beats, yet in some ways, even more powerful.

“Everybody’s Everything” features three songs that were previously released as the “Goth Angel Sinner” EP earlier in October 2019: “Moving On,” “Belgium” and “When I Lie.” These three tracks are classic Peep, meaning they’re both emotional and cool, rough but also perfectly put together. Since Peep had prepared them to be released as an EP before his death, they have a cohesive sound and are a highlight of the album. 

The last few tracks on “Everybody’s Everything” are collaborations with Lil Tracy, a long-time collaborator with Peep, and were all officially released before, albeit on Soundcloud and YouTube. One of Peep’s first songs to catapult to fame was “white tee (feat. Lil Tracy).” The DIY-style music video, published on YouTube in May 2016, racked up over 18 million views. Two other Soundcloud gems are “cobain (feat Lil Tracy)” and “witchblades (feat Lil Tracy).” 

The album ends with an emotional, acoustic version of “walk away as the door slams (feat Lil Tracy).” The original version of the song was released on Soundcloud on the “Hellboy” EP. The acoustic version allows for the angst and emotion in Peep’s voice to be heard even more clearly. 

“Everybody’s Everything” is really like listening to what may have been going on inside Lil Peep’s head. Although it’s not a cohesive album, it is not meant to be: Instead, it’s meant to collect different pieces the artist had been playing with before his tragic death. The caption on the @lilpeep Instagram photo that announced the release of the album sums it up best:  

“Everybody’s Everything honors the original work that Gus created with his collaborators. It is essential that the music Gus made remain as he made it. Gus was very particular about his work — mixed his own vocals by design. Whatever may come in the future, these original pieces must be released as the artist made them,” the caption read. “What if we never heard the original music of other artists? What is the point of creating if others change what you made so no one hears what you had decided was right? This album is beautiful and strong and it is raw on purpose — just like Gus.” 

Rating: 4/5  

Lucie Turkel is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lucie.turkel@uconn.edu.