Around the American: Cincinnati comes back, Navy falls to Fighting Irish 

0
0
exc-5dd34522f904181441d57131

No. 17 Cincinnati won its eighth straight game this past weekend, this time beating USF in a surprisingly close matchup. They remain in first in the AAC and are the only undefeated team left as the season nears an end.  Photo from the Associated Press.

No. 17 Cincinnati won its eighth straight game this past weekend, this time beating USF in a surprisingly close matchup. They remain in first in the AAC and are the only undefeated team left as the season nears an end. Photo from the Associated Press.

No. 17 Cincinnati 20, USF 17 

A late surge of 13 unanswered points, capped by a clutch field goal from Sam Crosa as time expired, was enough to propel No. 17-ranked Cincinnati to a win. USF broke through early, scoring a touchdown on its first drive. A field goal early in the second quarter brought the score to 10-0. In the second half, the Bearcats were able to get the run game going, scoring a touchdown on their first drive of the half. USF responded with a quick 47 yard passing play en route to a touchdown to make it 17-7, USF. Two big drives by Michael Warren II and the Bearcats brought the game to a tie. The Bulls had an opportunity to retake the lead, but they missed a field goal at a crucial point in the fourth quarter. The Bearcats took the ball and were able to hit a game winning field goal to win the game. 

Cincinnati struggled offensively in the first half, racking up a measly 29 yards. The passing game was not present at all, with quarterback Desmond Ridder going a weak 9 of 18 for 78 yards and a QBR of 25.6. He also ran 12 times for 18 yards. Michael Warren II and Gerrid Doaks combined for big days, running for a combined 182 yards and 2 touchdowns on 36 carries. 

On the flip side, USF’s offensive thrived, racking up 438 total yards to Cincinnati’s 278. Quarterback Jordan McCloud had a decent day for the Bulls, throwing 18 for 27 with 267 yards and a touchdown. Six different Bulls receivers had at least 2 receptions on the day. Jordan Cronkite and Kelley Joiner Jr. rushed for 78 and 72 yards, respectively. 

This win brought Cincinnati to an outstanding 9-1 record and kept them undefeated (6-0) in the conference. USF fell to 4-6, 2-4 in conference as they watch their bowl game chances dwindle. 

No. 23 Navy fell to No. 16 Notre Dame this weekend in blowout fashion. The 38-0 lead was insurmountable for Navy, who dropped to 7-2 on the year.  Photo from the Associated Press.

No. 23 Navy fell to No. 16 Notre Dame this weekend in blowout fashion. The 38-0 lead was insurmountable for Navy, who dropped to 7-2 on the year. Photo from the Associated Press.

No. 23 Navy: 20, No. 16 Notre Dame: 52 

The Midshipmen couldn’t keep the ball from reaching Chase Claypool’s hands.  

The senior had himself a day on Saturday, matching a Notre Dame record of four touchdown receptions in a game in a complete massacre of No. 23 ranked Navy. The Fighting Irish jumped out to an insurmountable 38-0 lead nearing the end of the second quarter, and by that point the game was already over. In the first half, the Irish scored on every one of their drives, while the Midshipmen fumbled three times. 

Headed into the game, Navy was leading the nation in rushing yards per game with 357.9. Despite the loss on Saturday, they still came close to that average, with 281 rushing yards. Seven different Midshipmen reached double digits yards rushing, Malcolm Perry leading the way with 117. Navy’s passing game was nonexistent; they totaled four completions for 79 yards. The game most likely would have been closer had Notre Dame not forced four fumbles.  

For the Fighting Irish, Ian Book had yet another stellar performance, racking up his third game this season with 5+ passing touchdowns. He accumulated a near perfect 98.8 QBR as well. Chase Claypool finished with 117 receiving yards and 4 touchdowns on 7 receptions. 

This game drops Navy to 7-2 and ends their 5 game winning streak. With this big loss, they could drop out of the AP Top 25 Poll. They look to bounce back next week against a tough SMU team at home. The Fighting Irish rise to 8-2. 

No. 18 Memphis beat Houston comfortably this weekend off a strong performance from Brady White, moving to 9-1 on the season .  Photo from the Associated Press.

No. 18 Memphis beat Houston comfortably this weekend off a strong performance from Brady White, moving to 9-1 on the season . Photo from the Associated Press.

No. 18 Memphis 45, Houston 27 

Despite a 10-point first quarter deficit, Memphis was able to come back and blow out Houston on the road. Three touchdowns by the Tigers in the second quarter was enough to put them comfortably in the lead, and they stayed on a roll the rest of the game. After scoring 17 points in the first quarter, the Cougars only put up 10 points the rest of the game. 

Brady White of Memphis had a monster day, throwing for 341 yards and 5 touchdowns with one pick. He finished with a QBR of 97.1. Kenneth Gainwell led the run game for the Tigers, falling just shy of triple digit yardage with 99 yards rushing. Damonte Coxie and Antonio Gibson had near identical statlines, both putting up 93 yards receiving on four catches. Coxie had two touchdowns, while Gibson just one.  

Houston quarterback Clayton Tune was solid, going 14 of 22 for 157 yards and a touchdown with a fumble. Tune also led the team in rushing yards with 65 and a rushing touchdown.  

Memphis now sits at a whopping 9-1 (5-1 in conference), as they look to get even higher in the AP Top 25 Poll. Houston falls to a mediocre 3-7 (1-5 in conference), and is likely coming to a fast end to their season. 

Jonathan Synott is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jonathan.synott@uconn.edu.