Women’s Basketball: Huskies back home to host Virginia 

0
0
exc-5dd35ccf62cbaa29569317bd

Olivia Nelson-Ododa has been vital for the Huskies’ success early on, earning her first Conference Player of the Week.  Photo by Charlotte Lao / The Daily Campus.

Olivia Nelson-Ododa has been vital for the Huskies’ success early on, earning her first Conference Player of the Week. Photo by Charlotte Lao / The Daily Campus.

The UConn women’s basketball team is back in action Tuesday, when they will host the Virginia Cavaliers at the XL Center in Hartford. 

The Huskies (3-0, 1-0 The American) got back on track on Sunday when they put a beatdown on the Temple Owls and won 83-54, with the 29-point margin of victory being their largest one so far this season by over two times as much. 

Christyn Williams led the Huskies with 19 points on 8-12 shooting, a significant improvement from her 5-15 line four days prior. Megan Walker had another strong game, going 5-11 from the field for 15 points and six rebounds, and freshman Aubrey Griffin scored nine points and grabbed eight boards in just 17 minutes of action. 

It was Olivia Nelson-Ododa who perhaps had the best game out of any Husky, scoring 15 points, albeit on just 5-13 shooting (5-5 from the line), but also grabbing 10 rebounds and blocking five shots. It was her game versus the Owls combined with a strong performance against Vanderbilt on Wednesday that earned her American Athletic Conference Player of the Week. It was the first time she received the honor in her career, but it certainly won’t be her last. 

Meanwhile, the Cavaliers (2-2) have had an up-and-down start to the season and are coming off a close loss 50-47 loss to the No. 13 ranked Kentucky Wildcats. 

They are led by senior Jocelyn Willoughby, who is averaging just under 20 points per game on about 44.2% shooting (and 43.8% from three) while also leading the team in rebounds (8.3) and steals (2.3). Willoughby has scored double-digit points in all four of the Cavaliers’ games, including 31 in their season opener versus Bucknell. 

UConn will also not be seeing senior and 6-foot-9 center Felicia Aiyeotan, who before the season was diagnosed with Marfan syndrome, ending her collegiate career. Through her three years at UVA, she averaged 5.9 points, 5.4 rebounds and just under two blocks per game in 17.6 minutes per game. 

The Huskies and Cavaliers have only played one other time in program history, a game that occurred in 2007. The Huskies prevailed, beating them 75-45 in Storrs.  

Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m., and it will be the Huskies’ final home game before they embark on a three-game road stretch. Their next home game will be Dec. 8, when they host Notre Dame in Storrs in what will be one of the most anticipated matchups of the season. 

Thumbnail Photo by Charlotte Lao / The Daily Campus.

Jorge Eckardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at Jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu. He tweets @jorge_eckardt31.