Hey you! Go get your flu shot. 

0
2
exc-5dd35f0e8ca6f6715d323892

If able, it is important for yourself and the rest of the community to get your flu shot as flu season begins.  Photo by Hyttalo Souza on Unsplash

If able, it is important for yourself and the rest of the community to get your flu shot as flu season begins. Photo by Hyttalo Souza on Unsplash

It’s that time of year again. The wind is blowing down Fairfield Way in increasingly perilous gusts. The campus’ trees are naked again. Soon, only our eyes will be visible as we shuttle from class to class. It’ll take us a full minute to take off our outer layers as we sit down for lecture. Chapstick, hot coffee and a good hat are necessary to survive this time on the frozen tundra we call Storrs. 

Perhaps most importantly, we all need a flu shot. Yes, it is flu season again. And yes, you must go get your flu shot.  

The flu is a serious illness that can cause fever, headaches, muscle aches — and potentially put you out of commission at a crucial juncture of the semester.  

Already, this winter, two Connecticut residents died from the flu.  

Even if you think your immune system is tough enough to withstand flu season, refusing to get your vaccination is reckless. When a significant majority of the population receives the vaccination, it creates a phenomenon known as herd immunity. When a population has herd immunity, members of the population that are otherwise unable to receive the vaccination — like very young children and people with fragile immune systems — can still be protected. You can think of the brief prick in your arm from the flu needle as a service to your community.  

UConn Student Health Services holds multiple clinic days in the Student Union, wherein students can get free vaccines. There are no more clinic days this semester, but you can schedule an appointment through Student Health Services or visit their website for more information on the flu. 

So be a healthy Husky and get your flu shot.  

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by individual writers in the opinion section do not reflect the views and opinions of The Daily Campus or other staff members. Only articles labeled “Editorial” are the official opinions of The Daily Campus.