Black Friday is better than Thanksgiving 

0
7

Until people decide to follow their own traditions instead of preconceived ones, Black Friday will reign supreme. It may be the complete opposite of what Thanksgiving is supposed to stand for, but the honest nature and customizability of Black Friday makes it a holiday worth celebrating.  Photo courtesy of     Anna Dziubinska     from Unsplash.com

Until people decide to follow their own traditions instead of preconceived ones, Black Friday will reign supreme. It may be the complete opposite of what Thanksgiving is supposed to stand for, but the honest nature and customizability of Black Friday makes it a holiday worth celebrating. Photo courtesy of Anna Dziubinska from Unsplash.com

There seems to be a myth that Thanksgiving is about being thankful. In reality, that is a lie. Thanksgiving has become a petri dish for family fights and awkward Facebook posts. Why is it that on Thanksgiving, people all of a sudden want to invite toxic family members to their homes? Just because someone is related to you does not mean they are good for your mental health. Also why are we thankful that NFL games are played on Thanksgiving? Do we not care that those players are away from their families? The issues relating to Thanksgiving do not stop there. 

Thanksgiving has also led to the creation of Blackout Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving in which people flood bars and drink on mass. It is often one of the busiest days for bars according to scramsystems.com. Between 2012 and 2016, over 800 people were killed in drunk driving related crashes during the Thanksgiving holiday period, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.  

After reading that statistic, you probably questioned the true meaning of Thanksgiving. If you are looking for a “holiday” that is honest about its values, Black Friday may be your answer. While it may be known for midnight stampedes and crowded parking lots, Black Friday does not shy away from its core principle of low prices.  

Why waste money on buying food for people that you only see occasionally when you can spend that same money on buying something useful, like a fridge? Black Friday is also a more customizable holiday than Thanksgiving. There is no waiting for family members to show up to your house, you can leave your home at any time or stay at home without any consequence and there is no dress code. Also, instead of eating cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes, you can enjoy whatever type of food you want. 

But the best part about Black Friday is the social aspect. Instead of being cooped up with family for an entire day on Thanksgiving, Black Friday allows you to spend time with your friends looking for great deals. There is also a chance to catch up on movies that you may have missed since Thanksgiving weekend is prime time for new releases. If going to the mall is not your cup of tea, websites like Amazon offer great Black Friday deals and Netflix usually has new content to watch on that day. 

In order for Thanksgiving to regain credibility as a holiday, people should feel free not to participate in arbitrary traditions. That means not inviting toxic family members over just because they are family, dressing in whatever outfit is comfortable instead of what looks fancy and eating whatever you want. Who says that turkey and stuffing are a necessary part of the holiday?  

Until people decide to follow their own traditions instead of preconceived ones, Black Friday will reign supreme. It may be the complete opposite of what Thanksgiving is supposed to stand for, but the honest nature and customizability of Black Friday makes it a holiday worth celebrating.  

Thumbnail photo courtesy of Negative Space from Pexels.com

Ian Ward is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ian.ward@uconn.edu