Letter to the Editor: ‘Senate Grade Appeal Process Shows Anti-Student Bias,’ does not provide full picture of Senate’s process and reasoning

0
0

To the Editor of the Daily Campus:

The opinion piece on Monday, November 18th, “Senate Grade Appeal Process Shows Anti-Student Bias,” does not provide a full picture of the Senate’s process and reasoning. The grade appeal policy was considered for close to a year by the Senate Scholastic Standards Committee which has two student representatives; that committee also consulted the Undergraduate Student Government’s Academic Affairs Committee. The motion was discussed at the October meeting of the University Senate before being presented for the vote at the November meeting. The writer of the opinion piece gives the impression that the five undergraduate student representatives were overwhelmingly outvoted at the November meeting when, in fact, the undergraduate student representatives did not voice opposition to the motion prior to the vote, and the motion passed with only 2 negative votes from a Senate comprised of 91.

The opinion piece also accuses the Senate of “anti-student bias” although the policy is not meant to help faculty or staff, but was designed to help students resolve issues with their grades in a timely fashion so that students have what they need to be eligible for financial aid, scholarships, the Dean’s List, and graduation instead of waiting, with detrimental consequences, over a long period of time like the summer recess. Considering these important student needs, checking the Student Administration system for a grade does not seem too laborious. The policy also allows students to appeal beyond the ten-day limit if there are extenuating circumstances.

Sincerely,

The University Senate Executive Committee