Small Business Saturday encourages the beginning of holiday shopping  

0
2
exc-5dd4ad26fbcafa3ed192a188

Participating stores include  Farmhouse Crepes ,  Geno's Grille ,  The Flower Pot ,  G.M. Thompson and Sons ,  The Hoot ,  Stearns Farm Stand ,  Storrs Center Cycle  and  The Emporium  by WindhamARTS. There will also be free parking in the Downtown Storrs garage from Wednesday, Nov. 27 through Saturday, Nov. 30, according to Mansfield’s website.  File photo / The Daily Campus

Participating stores include Farmhouse Crepes, Geno’s Grille, The Flower Pot, G.M. Thompson and Sons, The Hoot, Stearns Farm Stand, Storrs Center Cycle and The Emporium by WindhamARTS. There will also be free parking in the Downtown Storrs garage from Wednesday, Nov. 27 through Saturday, Nov. 30, according to Mansfield’s website. File photo / The Daily Campus

On Nov. 30, the town of Mansfield, Connecticut, will participate in the American shopping holiday, “Small Business Saturday.” 

According to the town of Mansfield’s website, the Mansfield Downtown Partnership invites Mansfield residents and friends to start their holiday shopping, and that Mansfield businesses will be ready to welcome participating shoppers with sales and specials.  

“Shoppers are encouraged to show their love of Mansfield businesses with a ‘Shop Small Selfie!’” according to Mansfield’s website. “Take a picture of yourself shopping at a participating business, post it on social media and tag the business and #ShopSmallMansfield.”  

Participating stores include Farmhouse Crepes, Geno’s Grille, The Flower Pot, G.M. Thompson and Sons, The Hoot, Stearns Farm Stand, Storrs Center Cycle and The Emporium by WindhamARTS. There will also be free parking in the Downtown Storrs garage from Wednesday, Nov. 27 through Saturday, Nov. 30, according to Mansfield’s website.  

In a press release by the Mansfield Downtown Partnership, Kathleen M. Paterson, communications and special projects manager, wrote that the initiative was started by AmericanExpress in 2010, and has generated over $103 billion in revenue during the nine succeeding “Small Business Saturdays.” 

“The [Mansfield Partnership] is the ‘Neighborhood Champion’ for Mansfield and looks forward to a great day celebrating all the unique businesses in town!” Paterson wrote. 

Cynthia van Zelm, executive director of the Mansfield Downtown Partnership, said that “Small Business Saturday” is something that the town has been involved in for the last couple of years all throughout the town of Mansfield, not solely in the downtown area, as a way to showcase the local businesses.  

“The benefit of this event for students is that it brings dollars back into the local community and allows it to grow and prosper,” van Zelm said. “There are a lot of unique things we offer in the town of Mansfield through small businesses, and we encourage the community to take advantage of the event.”  

Grace Burns is campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at grace.burns@uconn.edu.