5 Thanksgiving cocktails to appreciate

0
2
exc-5dd5e608ba56c218435c9b00

On Turkey Day, we all love to talk about the food: Green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce. But our drink menus often get neglected. The libations are just as, if not more, important on the Thanksgiving table, especially when talking politics with your uncle or when your grandma burns the turkey (again). There are so many festive flavors that are perfect complements to the holiday food. Some even pair well with pumpkin pie! Here are five simple cocktail recipes to be grateful for: 

A mimosa with a Thanksgiving twist? Sign us up!  Photo by    Sarah Gualtieri    on    Unsplash   . Thumbnail photo by    Sarah Gualtieri    on    Unsplash   .

A mimosa with a Thanksgiving twist? Sign us up! Photo by Sarah Gualtieri on Unsplash. Thumbnail photo by Sarah Gualtieri on Unsplash.

Apple Cider Mimosa 

Ingredients: 

3 oz. apple cider 

3 oz. champagne 

Brown sugar and apple slices for garnish 

Who said you have to save the drinking for the evening? Start Thanksgiving day off right with these super simple, two-ingredient mimosas. Rim a champagne flute with brown sugar. Add the apple cider followed by the champagne. Use an apple slice for garnish. These are the perfect drink to sip on while watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade or even an early football game. 

Apple Pie Sangria 

Ingredients, makes a pitcher: 

1 green apple, cored and cubed 

1 red apple, cored and cubed 

Apple pie in a drink is the perfect way to celebrate Thanksgiving.  Photo by    Danil Aksenov    on    Unsplash   .

Apple pie in a drink is the perfect way to celebrate Thanksgiving. Photo by Danil Aksenov on Unsplash.

1 pear, cored and cubed 

1/2 orange, cut into small wedges 

1 bottle pinot grigio (or you favorite mild white wine) 

1 cup caramel vodka 

3 cups apple cider 

1/4 cup apple pie spice simple syrup* 

2 cinnamon sticks, plus more for garnish 

*For apple pie spice simple syrup: 

1 cup water 

1 cup sugar 

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 

1/4 teaspoon cardamom 

1/8 teaspoon allspice 

Put the most delicious fall twist on your favorite classic drink with this apple pie sangria. This is an easy drink to make ahead of time, so it’s one less thing to worry about on Thanksgiving Day if you are hosting dinner. To make the simple syrup combine water, sugar and spices in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved and a thicker syrup forms. Chill and store in the refrigerator until use. 

To make the sangria add the apple cubes, pear cubes and orange wedges to a large pitcher. Top with wine, vodka, apple cider and simple syrup. Refrigerate for at least six hours or overnight. Stir before serving. 

Cranberry is a Thanksgiving favorite.  Photo by    Louis Hansel    on    Unsplash   .

Cranberry is a Thanksgiving favorite. Photo by Louis Hansel on Unsplash.

Cranberry Margaritas 

Ingredients: 

1/2 cup cranberry juice  

1/4 cup fresh lime juice 

1/4 cup tequila 

3 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur 

Ice cubes 

When we think margaritas, many of us tend to associate them with sweet, summer-y flavors, but tequila actually pairs very well with cranberry. To make this cocktail, stir all ingredients together until blended. Serve over ice in sugar or salt-rimmed glasses. Garnish with fresh cranberries and lime wedges.  

Mulled Wine 

Ingredients, makes a pitcher: 

1 bottle of your favorite red wine 

2 cups apple cider 

If you love mulled wine, this recipe is for you.  Photo by    Gaby Dyson    on    Unsplash   .

If you love mulled wine, this recipe is for you. Photo by Gaby Dyson on Unsplash.

1/4 cup honey 

1 orange, zested and juiced 

5 whole cloves 

2 cinnamon sticks 

1 packet of store-bought mulling spices 

1/4 cup brandy 

Orange slices for garnish 

Cinnamon sticks for garnish 

Mulled wine is perfect to serve at any holiday function. The spices and wine make for a cozy occasion. It’s really easy to prepare and set aside, and can be kept warm in a large carafe for the whole day. Add wine, cider, honey, orange zest and orange juice to a large pot. Stir to combine. Add the cloves, cinnamon and mulling spices. Cook on low until warm, which should take about 30 minutes to an hour, depending on your stove. Stir in the brandy. Serve in mugs with orange slices and cinnamon as garnish. 

Salted Caramel White Russians bring dessert with a twist to the Thanksgiving table.  Photo by    Louis Hansel    on    Unsplash   .

Salted Caramel White Russians bring dessert with a twist to the Thanksgiving table. Photo by Louis Hansel on Unsplash.

Salted Caramel White Russian 

Ingredients:  

1 1/2 oz. vodka 

1 oz. Kahlua 

2 oz. cream 

1 tablespoon caramel sauce 

Coarse ground sea salt (to garnish) 

No, we didn’t forget about dessert. These white Russians pair perfectly with any pie or your other favorite desserts. They are creamy and combine just the right amount of sweet and salty. They are also relatively easy to make! Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, vodka, Kahlua, cream and half of the caramel. Shake well. Swirl the remaining caramel around the inside and rim of a mason jar or cocktail glass. Fill with ice and pour in the cocktail mixture. Garnish with whipped cream, a drizzle of caramel sauce and sea salt.  

“Thirsty Thursday is created by of-age students in the Daily Campus Life section. Recommendations can be sent to life@dailycampus.com. We will respond if sober.”