ZBT to remain under interim suspension as investigation continues

0
8

University of Connecticut Police investigate an incident involving two Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) members at Northwest dorms on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019.  Photo by Brandon Barzola / The Daily Campus.

University of Connecticut Police investigate an incident involving two Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) members at Northwest dorms on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019. Photo by Brandon Barzola / The Daily Campus.

University of Connecticut fraternity Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) remains under suspension as an incident involving a freshman student who fell out of a third-story window remains under review. 

“The incident remains under investigation by UConn Police and the Community Standards Office of the Division of Student Life,” UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said. “The fraternity remains under interim suspension as the matter remains under review.” 

Earlier this semester, two new members of ZBT were hospitalized after one fell out of a third-story window in the Northwest Quadrangle and another was found in the window’s room, also needing medical attention. 

In a letter sent out to fraternity members dated Oct. 2, Brian Goepfrich, assistant director of community standards, outlined the parameters of the suspension. 

“All activities, meetings and events related to Zeta Beta Tau – Delta Beta at the University of Connecticut are suspended until the resolution of this matter,” Goepfrich wrote. “In addition, please note that retaliation by any member of Zeta Beta Tau – Delta Beta against a person filing a complaint, or against a witness for providing information during an investigation, is a serious violation of The Student Code.” 

The email continued by enforcing the severity of the investigation and how the university perceives the incident. 

“This action is preliminary in nature and is utilized when information indicates that your organization’s presence on campus could pose a threat to the health and safety of the campus community,” the email read. 

Sean Donovan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.m.donovan@uconn.edu