Connecticut: One of the worst states for robocalls, report finds

0
20

Many complaints have decrease with the exception of unwanted robocalls. The Federal Communications Commission states that unwanted calls increased by 35% from 2015 to 2018.  Photo by The Daily Campus

Many complaints have decrease with the exception of unwanted robocalls. The Federal Communications Commission states that unwanted calls increased by 35% from 2015 to 2018. Photo by The Daily Campus

Connecticut ranks eighth when it comes to most complaints to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), according to a recent report from Consumer Complaints Over Time, an independent organization that analyzes FCC complaints. 

According to the report, most types of complaints have decreased from 2015 to 2018, with the exception of unwanted robocalls. 

“According to our research, unwanted calls increased by 35% from 2015 to 2018, the only other category to experience an increase aside from equipment complaints (almost 6%),” the report said.  “The largest decrease in complaints fell under open internet/net neutrality (90%).” 

Connecticut ranked third in 2018 for the most complaints about robocalls, with 320.2 complaints per 100,000 residents, the report said.

“…they’re so annoying,” third-semester finance major Thomas Longo said. “I get them all the time.” 

Overall, Connecticut had a total of 496.4 complaints per 100,000 residents to the FCC as a whole across all categories, the report said. 

Across the whole United States from 2015 to 2018, calls about robocalls made up 65.8% of complaints to the FCC, the report said.  Unwanted calls about billing, availability and equipment were amongst the other top complaints. 

To avoid unwanted calls, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) suggested placing your name and number on the National Do Not Call Registry (https://www.donotcall.gov/). 

According to the FTC, putting your information on the registry protects you from telemarketer calls after 31 days, but not against calls from organizations like charities, political campaigns or debt collectors. 

Regardless, Longo said he never thinks the robocalls are real. 

“They must be stupid to think I’m going to fall for their traps,” Longo said. 

Luke Hajdasz is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu.