In Case You Missed It: What happened this week beyond UConn

0
0
exc-5dd74076f0547d640c7f0370

Jeffrey Epstein Guards 

Jeffrey Epstein’s prison guards were charged with conspiracy and falsifying records in connections to his alleged suicide.  Photo courtesy of    cnn.com

Jeffrey Epstein’s prison guards were charged with conspiracy and falsifying records in connections to his alleged suicide. Photo courtesy of cnn.com

Two prison guards tasked with watching Jeffrey Epstein in his cell at the Metropolitan Correctional Center were charged Tuesday with conspiracy and falsifying records in connection to the pedophile’s alleged suicide while in custody, according to CNN. On the night of Epstein’s death, guards Tova Noel and Michael Thomas failed to check on the prisoners every 30 minutes in the specialized housing unit and instead sat at their desks, browsed the internet and appeared to fall asleep. The two later signed records certifying they had completed their checks when they had not. No officer completed a count in the unit where Epstein was being held between 10:30 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. on the night he died. Noel and Thomas were each released on $100,000 bond and are due back in court on Monday. 

Cruise Ship Accident 

18-month-old child tragically died after her grandfather lifted her up to a wood railing where he thought was the glass windows were closed. The grandfather was charged with negligent homicide.  Photo courtesy of    abcnews.com

18-month-old child tragically died after her grandfather lifted her up to a wood railing where he thought was the glass windows were closed. The grandfather was charged with negligent homicide. Photo courtesy of abcnews.com

The grandfather charged with negligent homicide after his toddler granddaughter fell out of a window on a cruise ship in July appeared in court in Puerto Rico Wednesday, according to ABC News. While the ship was docked in San Juan, Salvatore Anello was reportedly playing in the water park area of the Royal Carribean cruise with his 18-month-old granddaughter, Chloe Wiegand, when he lifted her up to a wood railing where he thought the glass windows were closed. Wiegand fatally plummeted 100 feet to the ground. Prosecutors told judge Gisela Alfonso Fernandez Wednesday they had discovered evidence to present to the defense, and Fernandez agreed to postpone the trial until the defense receives the evidence. Wiegand’s family reportedly did not wish for Anello to be charged in the case.  

Las Vegas Massacre Victim  

On Friday, Kim Gervais, of Jurupa Valley, California, passed away due to her injuries from the Las Vegas shooting in 2017.  Photo courtesy of    foxnews.com

On Friday, Kim Gervais, of Jurupa Valley, California, passed away due to her injuries from the Las Vegas shooting in 2017. Photo courtesy of foxnews.com

The death toll from the Oct. 2017 Las Vegas mass shooting, the deadliest in modern United States history, rose to 59 on Friday after an additional victim passed away due to complications from her injuries, according to Fox News. Kim Gervais, 57, of Jurupa Valley, California, passed away at Redlands Community Hospital after her heart stopped due to the stress of her injuries. Gervais was shot in the back during the shooting and was paralyzed from the neck down. She reportedly had shrapnel still lodged in her back as a result of “exploding bullets.” It took Gervais a year to return home to California after the shooting, and she had been in intensive rehabilitation since the massacre.  

Rodney Reed Execution Delay 

Rodney Reed's execution was delayed and will go through new legal proceedings in the court where he was originally convicted.  Photo courtesy of    texastribute.org

Rodney Reed’s execution was delayed and will go through new legal proceedings in the court where he was originally convicted. Photo courtesy of texastribute.org

Last week, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals stalled the scheduled Nov. 20 execution of Rodney Reed and sent his case back to the trial court to review further claims of Reed’s innocence in the murder of 19-year-old Stacey Stites in 1996, according to The Texas Tribune. A bipartisan group of politicians, celebrities and activists contributed to a petition in recent months to look closer at the evidence that convicted Reed, claiming that Stites’ fiancé, Jimmy Fennell, was instead responsible for her murder. Reed was convicted in 1998 based on the sperm cells in Stites’ body matching his DNA as well as his past sexual assault accusations. Fennell, on the other hand, recently served a 10-year sentence for kidnapping and alleged rape, and prosecutors for Reed argued Fennell killed Stites because he was angry she was having an affair with a black man. Reed’s case will go through new legal proceedings in the court where he was originally convicted.  

Democratic Debate 

On Thursday night, ten democratic presidential candidates gathered to discussed defense, climate change, health care and a wide array of issues.  Photo courtesy of    cnn.com

On Thursday night, ten democratic presidential candidates gathered to discussed defense, climate change, health care and a wide array of issues. Photo courtesy of cnn.com

In Atlanta Thursday night, 10 democratic presidential candidates gathered to discuss defense, climate change, health care and a wide array of other issues ahead of the 2020 presidential election against Republican incumbent Donald Trump. Among the hot topics debated was which candidate has the ability to defeat Trump. According to numerous new sources, Peter Buttgieg overwhelmingly dominated the debate, given he successfully dodged attacks from other political opponents and claimed his lack of prestigious experience and moderate views proved him to be the common man for Americans. Other candidates who had notable performances included Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar and Andrew Yang. Joe Biden, on the other hand, stumbled over numerous questions, including saying he would “keep punching at a solution” when asked about domestic violence. All of the candidates unanimously supported the impeachment of President Trump. 

Taylor Harton is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at taylor.harton@uconn.edu.