Peart accepts Senior Bowl invite as he suits up for his final show at the Rent  

0
2

Redshirt senior Matt Peart is looking for a strong ending to what has been an incredible collegiate career, earning an invitation to the Senior Bowl this year.  Photo by Eric Wang / The Daily Campus.

Redshirt senior Matt Peart is looking for a strong ending to what has been an incredible collegiate career, earning an invitation to the Senior Bowl this year. Photo by Eric Wang / The Daily Campus.

UConn offensive tackle Matthew Peart has accepted an invitation to play in the 2020 Reese’s Senior Bowl. Looking to close the curtains on his collegiate career, Peart plays his final game at the Rent this Saturday against East Carolina. 

“People keep hitting me up asking for tickets, and I’ve been scrambling trying to find them, so yeah, I should have a decent crowd coming,” he said.  

Arguably the most prestigious postseason event of college football, the Senior Bowl offers players a chance to showcase their skills in preparation for the NFL Draft.  

“I mean, it feels great just knowing all your hard work has paid off and getting recognition from those people is really spectacular, and I’m just grateful for the opportunity,” he said.  

Invitations are sent out to 45 schools and 81 players to the postseason all-star game played each January in Mobile, Alabama. Head coach Randy Edsall praised Peart for his tenure with UConn.  

In recent NFL Draft projections, Peart has gone as early as the third round after his great career with the Huskies.  Photo by Eric Wang / The Daily Campus.

In recent NFL Draft projections, Peart has gone as early as the third round after his great career with the Huskies. Photo by Eric Wang / The Daily Campus.

“Matt epitomizes what you would look for in a student athlete at any college,” Edsall said. “He’s a good student, does things the right way, he’s gotten better each and every year and right now he’s playing the best football of his career.”  

UConn’s most recent player in the Senior Bowl was former safety Obi Melifonwu, who represented the North team in 2017. 

“The good thing is that he still has room to grow and room to get better,” Edsall said. “He’s allowed himself to be coachable, and he’s worked hard to put himself in a position to get some of the accolades he’s received.” 

An allied health sciences major, Peart is among 15 players to be honored Saturday before facing East Carolina at Rentschler Field. The NFL Draft prospect now has his sights set on training after the season.  

“I don’t know where that is yet, but hopefully somewhere warm cause it’s about to start snowing soon, but yeah, that’s definitely the plan,” he said. 

Despite the team closing the season at the bottom of the conference, Peart remains hopeful for a positive ending to his tenure as a Husky.  

“My time here is not quite done yet, I still have two more games left and those are my focus right now, but it would definitely be cool to go out with a win,” he said.  

Nicholas Martin is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at nicholas.r.martin@uconn.edu.