UConn Dining Services to accept meal requests for students staying on campus during Thanksgiving break

0
2
exc-5dd7460be8d3bc5dd459a7b0

Students can sign up for meals if they intend to stay on campus during the Thanksgiving break. Students can sign up by going on the Dining Services website or contacting Dining Services by phone.  Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus

Students can sign up for meals if they intend to stay on campus during the Thanksgiving break. Students can sign up by going on the Dining Services website or contacting Dining Services by phone. Photo by Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus

Students currently on a University of Connecticut meal plan can sign up for meals in advance if they intend to stay on campus during the upcoming fall break. 

Any student on a residential meal plan can go to the Dining Services website or contact Dining Services by phone to schedule the day and meal they would like to pick up. This program will be running from Nov. 23 to Nov. 30 before regular dining hall activity resumes. Eli Shattuck, a first-semester computer science & engineering major, feels this system is important for efficiency. 

“There’s not a lot of people, so they can’t just make estimates,” Shattuck said. “When you have a small sample size, things are more random.” 

These must be scheduled in advance, and any student who does not register for this program will be unable to swipe into any dining halls after dinner Friday night. Shattuck feels this system is a good way to ensure they don’t overproduce food if it is properly advertised. 

“I think as long as they’re able to advertise it fully and the students who need to hear about it hear about it, I think it will work fine,” Shattuck said. “I think the only real potential issue is if people who are staying over the break didn’t hear about this and don’t hear about it until after tonight.” 

For the upcoming week, the only dining hall on campus that will be open to students is Buckley at specific times from day to day. Breakfast will be from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., lunch will be from 11 a.m. to 2:15 p.m., and dinner will be from 4:15 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. This will be the schedule for the entirety of the week excluding Nov. 28 when no meals will be served. 

Thomas Alvarez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at thomas.alvarez@uconn.edu.