Women’s Basketball: Road trip kicks off at Ohio State 

0
1

UConn’s women’s basketball team is headed to Ohio to face off against Ohio State this weekend after a successful trip to Virginia.  Photo by Judah Shingleton / The Daily Campus.

UConn’s women’s basketball team is headed to Ohio to face off against Ohio State this weekend after a successful trip to Virginia. Photo by Judah Shingleton / The Daily Campus.

It’s been a really good past two games for the UConn women’s basketball team, beating Temple and Virginia by an average margin of 34 points. Their core players have all taken some strides, but most importantly they have gotten some much-needed contribution from the other players on the team. 

It was Kyla Irwin and Anna Makurat who had big games against Virginia to help boost them to their blowout victory, and Aubrey Griffin was great against Temple to help them in that win. 

“Sunday, Aubrey came off the bench and gave us some great minutes and impacted the game,” head coach Geno Auriemma said after their game on Tuesday. “Today, Kyla did that. She came off the bench and impacted the game offensively, defensively and hustling for loose balls. You want to feel like you have people on the bench that can contribute. Sometimes it’s a little, sometimes it’s a lot.”  

Megan Walker has been the team’s scoring leader, averaging 20 points over the first four games of the season. Olivia Nelson-Ododa has used her size to her advantage and is averaging 10.3 rebounds and 4.3 blocks per game, and Christyn Williams has started to find ways to contribute when she doesn’t have the ball in her hands, something that was a concern heading into the season. 

Freshman Anna Makurat had the best game of her young career last time out and will look to carry that into their next match against the Buckeyes.  Photo by Judah Shingleton / The Daily Campus.

Freshman Anna Makurat had the best game of her young career last time out and will look to carry that into their next match against the Buckeyes. Photo by Judah Shingleton / The Daily Campus.

They’ll match up against THE Ohio State University on Sunday, a team that is 2-1 at the time of publication, but will be either 3-1 or 2-2 by the time of publication, with a matchup versus Kent State happening Thursday night. 

The Buckeyes are led by sophomore forward Dorka Juhãz, who is first on the team in both points per game (12.3) and rebounds per game (10.7). Juhãz hails from Pecs, Hungary, where she played multiple Hungarian national teams before going to Ohio State. 

Junior guard Braxtin Miller is right behind her in the scoring department, averaging 11 points while also dishing out four assists and getting over two steals per game. 

They have seven players on their roster who are averaging at least 20 minutes per game and have two more who just miss the cutoff. Meanwhile, for the Huskies, it’s just the starting five. In fact, all of the core four are averaging more minutes per game than any Buckeye, with Miller coming in just under Nelson-Ododa.  

After starting 2-0, the Buckeyes dropped their third game of the season, falling to Ohio University 74-68, with that game being both the fewest points they have scored and most they have given up in a game so far this season. They have also beaten one of UConn’s American Athletic Conference opponents when they defeated Cincinnati 78-73 in overtime.  

Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m., and they will have a short turnaround, taking on Dayton on Tuesday. 

Jorge Eckardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at Jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu. He tweets @jorge_eckardt31.