Men’s Hockey: Huskies tie one, lose one in weekend series with Providence

0
0
exc-5ddb415db53adb35eaa15bcf

UConn forced a 3-3 tie Friday night at home against Providence College, then followed it up with a 5-2 loss Saturday in their house. 

“I was proud of our team’s effort,” head coach Mike Cavanaugh said.

The Huskies were shorthanded this weekend while Jonny Evans continued to nurse a broken finger and Ruslan Iskhakov missed both games with illness. Then going into the third period of Friday’s game, Kale Howarth went down with an injury and hasn’t played since.

“He [Iskhakov] is a good player, Jonny Evans is a good player, Kale [Howarth] is a good player but it has to be the next man up. At the end of the year when you look back at the results, they don’t put asterisks in and say ‘Ruslan didn’t play,’” Cavanaugh said. “It just has to be the next man up, and I think Jordan Timmons and Eric Linell gave us a great effort.” 

Iskhakov and Howarth are tied for the second-most points on the team with six apiece. Evans, an electrifying young player who proved to be dangerous on the break last season, recorded three points in seven games played this season.

Keeper Tomas Vomacka was asked to face a lot of pucks this weekend. After allowing just three of 36 shot attempts by him on Friday, he faced 37 shots Saturday and let five of those find the net. Cavanaugh elected to play backup goalie Ryan Keane for the final 10 minutes of Saturday’s game.

“He made some great saves. That’s his job, that’s what he’s supposed to do,” Cavanaugh said. 

“It definitely was hard, they put a lot of pressure on me up front so it was my job to find the puck,” Vomacka said. “At the end of the day, I have to stop every shot.”

Despite going winless, Carter Turnbull had himself a great weekend individually on the ice. He scored two goals in Friday’s tie and assisted a goal in Saturday’s loss.

“That was probably the best game I’ve seen him [Turnbull] play ever. It was unreal and I just hope he’s going to keep playing like that and score more goals,” Vocacka said.

“All week long we’ve been practicing getting pucks to the net low-to-high. It worked against Lowell and it worked this weekend,” Turnbull said. “You saw on Freeman’s goal, just getting to the net and getting tips is something we’ve worked on.”

Benjamin Freeman, the tall guy who wears the C for the Huskies, scored a goal in both PC games for his first two goals of the season.

Coming up for UConn is two two-game series at home. First off will be a weekend series with the Miami Redhawks of Oxford, Ohio this Friday and Saturday. Then a week later, the Huskies will play two more home games in another weekend series against the University of Vermont.

All photos by Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus

Sean Janos is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu. He tweets @seanjanos.