Women’s Hockey: UConn splits two game series with No. 6 Boston College

0
1
exc-5ddcb82c2e47f65be356cb77

UConn (8-5-1) proved that their first win against Boston College (11-3-1) was no fluke, beating Boston College 2-1 on Friday night in Massachusetts.  Photo by Mike Mavredakis / The Daily Campus.

UConn (8-5-1) proved that their first win against Boston College (11-3-1) was no fluke, beating Boston College 2-1 on Friday night in Massachusetts. Photo by Mike Mavredakis / The Daily Campus.

UConn is now 2-1 versus Boston College this season after losing all of their regular season games against them last year.

UConn (8-5-1) proved that their first win against Boston College (11-3-1) was no fluke, beating Boston College 2-1 on Friday night in Massachusetts.  The Huskies were unable to beat the Eagles at home on Saturday as Boston College returned the favor, beating the Huskies 2-1 in Storrs.

Friday’s win over the Eagles was the first time ever that UConn has beat Boston College on the road.  Before Friday the Huskies were 0-17-1 against the Eagles on the road. The Huskies are the second team to beat the Eagles at the Conte Forum this season, with the other team being Northeastern.

Boston College has the best offense in Hockey East.  The Eagles have three players in the top five goals scored in the conference so far this season.  Coming into Friday’s matchup the Eagles had already scored 50 goals on the year.

UConn was going to need another strong defensive performance to prevent a shootout with Boston College.  The Huskies came into the game with 32 goals for the season. The leading goal scorer for the Huskies is Natalie Snodgrass.

The Eagles struck first scoring a power play goal midway through the first period to take a 1-0 lead over the Huskies.  The goal was scored by Savannah Norcross. Boston College was very active on the offensive end in the first period, finishing the period with a total of 13 shots on goal.  

UConn had some chances in the first period, but they were unable to capitalize on them.  The Huskies finished the period with a total of nine shots. Goalie Kelly Pickreign made some good save to keep UConn off the board.

UConn did not have to wait long in the second period to get their first goal, scoring less than three minutes into the period.  The goal was scored by Emily Reid, her first of the season. Kaitlyn Yearwood and Savannah Bouzide received assists on the play.  Reid’s goal tied the score up at 1-1. The Huskies ended the second period with 13 shots taken.

Boston College was unable to score in the second period, but they were forcing UConn to spend more energy on defense.  The Eagles finished the second period with 20 shots. Goalie Morgan Fisher was playing phenomenally all night, especially in the second period, making saves left and right to keep the Eagles from scoring.

UConn did not have a good third period offensively.  The Huskies only had two shots on goal in the third period.  The Huskies made them count though, scoring their second goal to take a 2-1 lead.  The goal was scored by Briana Colangelo, her fifth of the year. Catherine Crawley and Natalie Snodgrass received assists.  

Morgan Fisher had her hands full in the third period facing a relentless Eagles offense.  The Eagles took 20 total shots in the third period. Boston College was once again unable to capitalize, allowing UConn to come away with a 2-1 win.

UConn had a chance to tie it at the very end, but a save by Maddy McArthur sealed the victory for Boston College.  Photo by Mike Mavredakis / The Daily Campus.

UConn had a chance to tie it at the very end, but a save by Maddy McArthur sealed the victory for Boston College. Photo by Mike Mavredakis / The Daily Campus.

Both teams met again on Saturday for their third and final matchup of the regular season in Storrs.  UConn had the opportunity to sweep Boston College in the regular season for the first time ever.  

Just like in the matchup the day before, the Eagles struck first to take a 1-0 lead early in the first period.  The goal was scored by Cayla Barnes. The Eagles would finish the first period with 8 shots.

UConn got off to a slow start once again on offense.  Boston College was forcing the Huskies to spend most of their energy on defense instead of offense.  The Huskies finished the first period with only four shots.  

UConn struck first in the second period to tie the game up at 1-1.  The goal was scored by Danika Pasqua, her third of the season. The Huskies had a couple more chances to score in the second period, but they were denied by goalie Maddy McArthur.  UConn took 11 shots in the second period.

Boston College was held scoreless in the second period.  The Huskies kept the Eagles on the defensive end, taking away some opportunities to retake the lead from the Eagles.  Boston College took five shots in the second period.

Boston College responded from a quiet second period by turning up their intensity on the offensive end in the third period.  The Eagles took 17 shots in the third period. The Huskies were bending but not breaking on the defensive end. UConn only took six shots in the third period thanks to the Eagles efforts on the offensive end.

The game looked like it was going to head to overtime with less than three minutes left to play.  However, the Huskies defense finally broke under the pressure from the Eagles offense, giving up a late goal that gave Boston College a late 2-1 lead.  The goal was scored by Savannah Norcross. UConn had a chance to tie it at the very end, but a save by Maddy McArthur sealed the victory for Boston College.  

UConn will take on Yale in the Nutmeg Classic on Friday and either Quinnipiac or Minnesota Duluth on Saturday.

Joshua Gorman is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.gorman@uconn.edu. He tweets @joshuagorman15.