UConn ranked 20th best college in country for students’ sleep health 

0
1
exc-5de47a65c573c502d7091bd0

The University of Connecticut has been ranked as the 20th best school in the country in terms of sleep health according to Sleepopolis.  Photo by    Alexandra Gorn    on    Unsplash   . Thumbnail photo by    Sylvie Tittel    on    Unsplash   .

The University of Connecticut has been ranked as the 20th best school in the country in terms of sleep health according to Sleepopolis. Photo by Alexandra Gorn on Unsplash. Thumbnail photo by Sylvie Tittel on Unsplash.

The University of Connecticut was ranked as the 20th best school in the country for the sleep health of its students by Sleepopolis, a website that focuses on sleep health and quality. 

In the article “The Best and Worst Colleges for Sleep,” UConn received a sleep score of 6.92 out of 8.00, a culmination of various scores ranging from average sleep time to body mass index. Nikki Kessler of Sleepopolis lays out what exactly they considered when determining sleep scores. 

“These colleges were chosen based on a compilation of sleep and health data on hours of sleep per night, air quality, the average number of steps taken per day, body mass index and obesity rates,” Kessler said. 

These factors, as stated in the article, are all major contributors to sleep quality. Factors like obesity can potentially lead to things like sleep apnea, and research has found that people living in the most polluted areas are 60% more likely to suffer from sleep problems, according to Sleepopolis.  

Kessler said healthy sleep contributes to academic success. 

“Lack of sleep impacts academic performance, increases the risk of certain health conditions, and negatively impacts students’ mental health,” Kessler said. 

In addition to ranking colleges from all across the nation, Sleepopolis lays out tips for students to improve their sleep health. On average, Sleepopolis found that college students get less than seven hours of sleep per night, so the tips they provide can help students who have trouble getting consistent, healthy sleep. 

This list of tips provides concise explanations laying out how students can improve their health and why research says it can often be beneficial. These tips likely will not alleviate issues like chronic insomnia, but avoiding certain practices can limit occurrences of occasional insomnia according to Sleepopolis. 

Sleepopolis’ article can be found here with the complete ranking and tips for students looking to improve their sleep health. 

Thomas Alvarez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at thomas.alvarez@uconn.edu.