Football: Temple slams door on Huskies in American Conference sendoff

0
2
exc-5de46a1c8ca23e2f1dbf27e1

The Huskies lost against ECU after a close game with a final score of 24-31. The team closes the season with a record of 2-10 overall.  Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus

The Huskies lost against ECU after a close game with a final score of 24-31. The team closes the season with a record of 2-10 overall. Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus

Things were looking good. Surprisingly good. UConn was winning 14-0. Then it became 17-7. Jack Zergiotis was looking really solid, Kevin Mensah reached the 1,000 yard milestone for the second straight year and the offense got points in three of their first four drives. 

Temple was having a hard time moving the ball, but near the end of the first half, they put Todd Centeio in the game at quarterback. Centeio can run, and sure enough, he immediately ate up the Huskies, just like mobile quarterbacks have done all season. 

The drive took just 2:14, and the Owls drove 75 yards down the field in five plays to cut the UConn lead to three. 

UConn was still up 17-14 at the half, but the seven points the Owls scored on the Centeio drive was the start of a 42-0 run Temple would go on to close out the game with. 

Temple finished the game with a combined 18-29 passing for 312 yards and three touchdowns, with the majority of them coming from starter Anthony Russo, who remained the primary quarterback even after Centeio led them down the field for a touchdown. 

It was their rushing game that really ate them up, as four Owls combined for 262 yards and another three touchdowns. They did so on just 33 attempts, which works out to an average of just a hair under eight yards per carry. 

Zergiotis had a solid day statistically, completing 24 of his 35 pass attempts for 250 yards and a touchdown, not turning the ball over once. However, the offense was just completely lethargic in the second half, even prompting him to get benched for Steven Krajewski at one point. 

And Krajewski, after getting a peculiar rushing touchdown in the first quarter after being subbed in inside the five-yard line for Zergiotis (who led them 60-plus down the field on that drive already), had just about the worst drive possible. 

On the second play of the drive, Krajewski tried to throw a screen but instead gift-wrapped a present for Temple senior Sam Franklin, who picked it off with no UConn jersey near and took it to the house on senior day. 

Jorge Eckardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at Jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu. He tweets @jorge_eckardt31.