It’s our planet — we should take care of it

0
2

UConn students partake in the Global Climate Strike on Friday, Sept. 20, 2019, walking along Fairfield Way. They created signs and marched to Gulley Hall, standing their ground in front of UConn's new president, Thomas Katsouleas.  Photo by Sofia Sawchuk/The Daily Campus

UConn students partake in the Global Climate Strike on Friday, Sept. 20, 2019, walking along Fairfield Way. They created signs and marched to Gulley Hall, standing their ground in front of UConn’s new president, Thomas Katsouleas. Photo by Sofia Sawchuk/The Daily Campus

There are many problems plaguing our world. Some of these problems selectively impact certain areas or certain groups of people, whereas some are universal. One of these universal problems that we all must work to combat is climate change. 

Climate change is a worldwide phenomenon with global implications that are becoming more obvious every day. However, some people still do not recognize that it is actually happening, and is severely threatening the planet. 

Climate change encompasses the effects of the changing weather and climate systems due to global warming. It includes weather shifts, changing wildlife populations, rising seas, rising temperatures and a multitude of other impacts. Currently, the effects of climate change are very visible all over the world, and it is affecting people, the environment and animals — essentially everything. 

An example of this is in Australia, where wildfires are raging across the eastern part of the country. These wildfires are destroying ecosystems, which is especially harming the koala population of Australia. The population has been declining for years due to deforestation forcing koalas to seek new homes, and often being killed by cars or other animals while doing so. These wildfires are forcing the population to decline even more rapidly. Since the koala populations are endemic only to Australia, it puts them at a very great risk. 

The reason for these wildfires are because of the immensely long dry periods and rises in temperature, which fall under the umbrella of climate change. Koalas are reported as being susceptible to heat stress and dehydration, so the rising temperatures are even more detrimental to their population.  

Although koalas are not currently classified as endangered, their population is declining because of climate change, which puts them in danger of going extinct. The effects of climate change on their population are clear. 

There are still many people that do not believe in climate change, despite the clear evidence that it is occurring and putting our planet in danger. The plain fact is that it is our planet, and if we don’t take care of it, we will end up destroying it and everything that inhabits it, including ourselves. 

The effects of climate change are not only evident in Australia; they are also apparent in Europe, namely in Venice, Italy. Venice, a city built on water, is especially threatened by the rising water levels because it is becoming increasingly difficult for people to live there and for the architecture to be preserved. Despite all of the flooding, the local authorities are not doing anything about it.  

Climate change is not something that can be ignored. There are numerous negative effects all around the world, but people still are not giving it the attention that it should have. 

In the U.S., climate change has been evident with the sheer number of natural disasters that have occurred recently, such as hurricanes Maria and Harvey that have wreaked havoc especially in Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico, as well as the wildfires in California. These natural disasters have been sparked by climate change, yet people do not recognize this fact. 

Instead of working to combat climate change, President Donald Trump constantly denies it, going so far as to withdraw from the Paris Agreement, which helps fight against climate change, concentrating on reducing greenhouse gas emissions. 

It’s plain and simple — climate change exists. There is a plethora of evidence to prove it, but some people, such as Trump, do not seem to understand. 

People all around the world should come together to fight climate change. Although there are already numerous people working to fight climate change, it is not enough. Climate change is an imminent threat that will destroy the planet if we do not do something about it. 

In order to combat climate change, we should educate more people about it, then draft legislation that will help the planet. It is our planet, and our duty to take care of it. 

Anika Veeraraghav is a weekly columnist for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anika.veeraraghav@uconn.edu