In Case You Missed It: What happened this week in national news

0
1
exc-5de87e6e1f98a33d11bc4981

In this Nov. 20, 2019 file photo, Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., speaks during a Democratic presidential primary debate in Atlanta.  Photo courtesy of AP Photo/John Bazemore. Thumbnail photo courtesy of AP Photo/John Locher, File.

In this Nov. 20, 2019 file photo, Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., speaks during a Democratic presidential primary debate in Atlanta. Photo courtesy of AP Photo/John Bazemore. Thumbnail photo courtesy of AP Photo/John Locher, File.

Kamala Harris 

California democratic senator Kamala Harris announced on Tuesday she will be dropping out of the 2020 presidential race, citing low poll numbers, a lack of financial security in her campaign and several missteps in her policy decisions, according to The New York Times. Harris’s absence significantly affects the diversity of the remaining candidates, given she was the only woman of color in the democratic playing field. In an email to supporters on Tuesday, Harris made it clear she would still be participating in politics despite her withdrawal from the election. “My campaign for president simply doesn’t have the financial resources we need to continue,” Harris said. “But I want to be clear with you: I am still very much in this fight.”

North Korea Message 

Amid months of tense talks about nuclear weapons, North Korea says it will send a “Christmas gift” to the United States, but what that present will contain is contingent on exchanges between the U.S. and North Korean governments, according to CNN. The comments come close to North Korea’s self-imposed Dec. 31 deadline for nuclear negotiations with the Trump administration and have people believing the regime will resume with long-distance missile tests. Ri Thae Song, a first vice minister at the North Korean Foreign Ministry dealing with U.S. affairs, accused the U.S. on state television of engaging with dictator Kim Jong Un for personal, domestic gain. “The dialogue touted by the US is, in essence, nothing but a foolish trick hatched to keep the DPRK [Democratic People’s Republic of Korea] bound to dialogue and use it in favor of the political situation and election in the U.S.,” Ri said.  

Peloton Bike Advertisement 

The American exercise equipment company Peloton is under fire after an advertisement was released depicting a fit woman receiving a fitness bike from her husband for Christmas, which she then uses for the next year to document her weight loss journey, according to BBC News. She then presents her vlogs about her progress to her husband as a way of saying “thank you.” Some people took to Twitter to complain the ad is sexist, given that the gift of the exercise bike implies the husband wanted his wife to lose weight. The actress also said in the ad the bike “changed her,” though her figure looks similar throughout the ad. The company has not yet responded to the remarks but turned off commenting on the ad’s video on YouTube. ClueHeywood, a Twitter personality, tweeted earlier this week, “Look I don’t want to be ‘The Peloton Ad Guy’ anymore but the newest commercial about the vlogging 116 lb. woman’s YEARLONG fitness journey to becoming a 112 lb. woman who says ‘I didn’t realize how much this would change me’ is just [ridiculous]. Come on.”

University of Farmington  

Around 250 illegal immigrant students have been arrested since January at a fake university set up in Farmington Hills, Michigan by federal agents to entice foreign-born students to study in the United States based on visas for the faux college, according to USA Today. Many of those arrested have been deported back to their home country, primarily India, while others are contesting their removal. Although the college was marketed as legitimate, there were never any classes held, leading authorities to believe students knew they were enrolled in a fake school to extend their visas. Some students, however, had been pressing the individuals running the organization for information on classes, not yet realizing they were tied up in the scheme. The United States allegedly made $12,000 per student yearly off of tuition and fees, but no one has filed a lawsuit or claim against ICE for entrapping the students.  

Los Angeles Police Officer 

An investigation was launched Wednesday after a Los Angeles police officer was caught on body camera video fondling a deceased woman’s body, according to CNN. Officers responded to reports of a possible dead body in a residential unit, and upon arrival, two officers determined the women had died. While one went to the patrol car to retrieve materials, the other reportedly turned off his body camera and began fondling with the woman’s breasts. The footage was caught during a two-minute buffer on the device and was spotted during a routine camera check earlier this week. The officer has since been placed on leave, and a source familiar with the investigation said the officer’s co-workers are “furious” about the officer’s actions.  

Taylor Harton is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at taylor.harton@uconn.edu.