SET surveys now available to students

0
0

It’s that time of year to complete your SET surveys.  Photo courtesy of the University of Connecticut Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness website.

It’s that time of year to complete your SET surveys. Photo courtesy of the University of Connecticut Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness website.

The end-of-semester SET surveys are now open for University of Connecticut students to fill out in order for teachers to receive feedback and improve their teaching styles.  

UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said these surveys help find key areas to improve. 

“For faculty members, the surveys give them chances to identify and build on areas of strength and to consider changes in other areas that could be helpful and valuable in their teaching,” Reitz said. 

Reitz said they are anonymous for privacy reasons. 

“The results are compiled in aggregate form and no identities are shared, so students need not worry that their responses would be tied to their names – in fact, the reports are released only after final grades are submitted,” Reitz said.

According to the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness website, these surveys help UConn by using a variety of methods to support and enhance teaching effectiveness and student learning. 

These surveys allow students to voice their opinions on the teaching and courses they have formed during the semester so faculty can identify strengths and weaknesses in their teaching, according to the website.  

Thomas Meade, UConn communication professor, said he supports the idea of the surveys. 

“They tell me if I’m doing a good job teaching and make changes as needed,” Meade said.  

Meade said he usually takes them into consideration. 

“I make little changes to my courses, sometimes as well as big changes as needed based on comments from the surveys,” Meade said.  

Anthony Zepperi is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at anthony.zepperi@uconn.edu.