The perfect drinks for this holiday season

0
2
exc-5de872c6e71685480cef78aa

With finals approaching and the holidays right around the corner, it’s officially time to start compiling a list of stand-out cocktail recipes. This list should take higher priority than your Christmas wish list, and the recipes may be more important than your family’s traditional holiday cookies. Winter break is a time to relax and unwind, and what better way to do that than with a drink in hand. Whether you’re looking for a Christmas cocktail, a Hanukkah drink, a beverage for the perfect New Year’s toast or just a winter-y concoction to lift your spirits, we’ve got you covered with these delicious recipes. 

Hot Buttered Rum 

Hot buttered rum is the perfect drink to get you in the holiday spirit.  Photo by    Aliona Gumeniuk    on    Unsplash   . Thumbnail photo by    Lisanne van Elsen    on    Unsplash   .

Hot buttered rum is the perfect drink to get you in the holiday spirit. Photo by Aliona Gumeniuk on Unsplash. Thumbnail photo by Lisanne van Elsen on Unsplash.

Ingredients: 

Buttered rum batter: 

4 tablespoons softened butter 

3 tablespoons brown sugar 

1/2 cup softened vanilla ice cream 

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 

Rum drink: 

2 cup apple cider 

1 cup rum 

This hot buttered rum recipe is perfect for a snowy evening by the fire. To make the buttered rum batter, place the butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in ice cream and cinnamon then pour into a mason jar or resealable container. Store the mixture in the freezer until mostly hardened, about two hours or until ready to serve.  

In a medium saucepan, heat the cider until boiling, stirring occasionally. Remove it from heat and pour into a pitcher. To serve, place two tablespoons of buttered rum batter into two mugs, fill about 1/3 of the way up with rum then top with hot apple cider. Stir before serving and enjoy! 

Peppermintini 

Ingredients: 

Peppermint + chocolate in a drink? Yes please!  Photo by    Siora Photography    on    Unsplash   .

Peppermint + chocolate in a drink? Yes please! Photo by Siora Photography on Unsplash.

1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted 

1/4 cup crushed candy canes 

6 oz. white chocolate liqueur 

4 oz. vodka 

2 oz. peppermint schnapps 

2 tablespoons heavy cream 

Ice 

3 small candy canes for garnish 

Peppermint and chocolate lovers rejoice. This sweet winter take on a classic cocktail combines all your favorite holiday flavors. Rim three martini glasses first in chocolate, then in crushed candy canes. Pour the remaining chocolate into the bottom of glasses and swirl to coat the bottom. Place glasses in freezer while you prepare the drink. Combine white chocolate liqueur, vodka, peppermint schnapps and heavy cream in a cocktail shaker. Fill to the top with ice and shake until cold. Garnish martini glasses with a candy cane before serving. 

Hanukkah isn’t Hanukkah without chocolate.  Photo by    Chris Nemeth    on    Unsplash   .

Hanukkah isn’t Hanukkah without chocolate. Photo by Chris Nemeth on Unsplash.

Chocolate Gelt Cocktail 

Ingredients: 

3 oz. chocolate vodka 

1 oz. cinnamon schnapps  

Cocoa powder for garnish 

This Hanukkah-themed cocktail is based on the chocolate coins children receive as a gift during the eight-day Jewish holiday, and it takes just three ingredients and five minutes to make! Moisten rim of glass with water and dip into cocoa powder. Combine ice and chocolate vodka into cocktail shaker. Shake well and strain into a martini glass. Add schnapps and stir gently. 

Christmas in a Glass 

Ingredients:  

1 bottle Prosecco, well chilled 

1 bottle gingerbread flavored syrup (or cranberry flavored syrup) 

If you’re feeling lazy or just want to have an easy-to-make Christmas-themed drink to lighten the mood at your holiday party this winter break, Christmas in a Glass is sure to be a hit. Pour some Prosecco into glasses and a capful of your syrup choice (or more to taste). The twist of gingerbread will make for a perfect, nostalgic Christmas vibe. 

The Happy New Year 

Make your New Year even more special with a fancy drink.  Photo by    Billy Huynh    on    Unsplash   .

Make your New Year even more special with a fancy drink. Photo by Billy Huynh on Unsplash.

Ingredients:  

1 1/2 oz. brandy 

3/4 oz. ruby port wine 

3/4 oz. orange juice 

4 oz. champagne 

New Year’s is a time of reflection and resolution for many people. The holiday is also a fabulous time to celebrate another year with your friends and family. This Happy New Year cocktail is sure to add to the fun as we ring in a new decade! 

Pour the brandy, port wine and orange juice into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake the mixture well and strain into a champagne flute. Top with your favorite champagne and celebrate 2020 in style.

“Thirsty Thursday is created by of-age students in the Daily Campus Life section. Recommendations can be sent to life@dailycampus.com. We will respond if sober.”