UConn life in the 2010s 

0
9

A new decade will begin in just a few short weeks, and with that, another 10 years of quickly changing student life and culture. However, we would be remiss to enter this new period without reflecting on the bevy of events and experiences that past and present Huskies have been able to experience. From exciting concerts to notable celebrities on campus, the university has been witness to the various trends that the past 10 years have brought. Here are just a few of the many notable moments UConn has been host to in the last decade. 

Rap and hip hop stars dominate the decade 

One of the most prominent events on campus, Spring Weekend, includes the annual Spring Weekend concert, which was rebranded to the festival-like “UCONNIC” a couple years ago. The popularly-attended event, planned by the Student Union Board of Governors (SUBOG), has managed to nab top artists that make you remember UConn is actually a pretty notable school in the country, even if we live in the middle of nowhere. SUBOG has mentioned their desire to feature artists the most amount of students will enjoy, which has overwhelmingly been those of the rap and hip hop genres. Some big names include Kid Cudi in 2010, B.o.B in 2011, Wiz Khalifa in 2012, Kendrick Lamar in 2013, J Cole in 2014, ASAP Ferg — who also headlined Fall Concert last year — and Schoolboy Q in 2015 and Fetty Wap in 2016. Rapper T-Pain also came to campus earlier this year for the first “Fall Concert x First Night” collaboration.  

Khalid reignites Spring Weekend 

Pop and hip hop star Khalid deserves his own shoutout for headlining 2018’s UCONNIC Music Festival, a year after the cancelled concert with Lil Uzi Vert. His performance came at the beginning of his catapult to fame and epitomizes a choice that can appeal to a vast range of audiences and still be entertaining even if you don’t know his music very well. 

The Clintons come to Connecticut 

The Thomas J. Dodd Prize in International Justice and Human Rights, awarded biennially to an individual or group who has “made a significant effort to advance the cause of international justice and human rights around the world” as stated in the award’s description, has brought some of the most influential actors in human rights activism in recent years. In 2015, former U.S. President Bill Clinton along with Tostan founder Molly Melchan were awarded the Thomas J. Dodd Prize in International Justice and Human Rights, which is given in a ceremony in the titular Thomas J. Dodd Research Center. Clinton’s visit came 20 years after his visit for the inauguration of the center. 

Former presidential candidate and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton also came to Storrs in 2014 to deliver the keynote remarks at the university’s Edmund Fusco Contemporary Issues Forum. Her statement at the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts, marked the first time she visited UConn. 

Having a ball with OOzeball 

Another one of Spring Weekend’s time-honored traditions is the beloved OOzeball tournament. Originating in 1984, it’s the oldest mud volleyball tournament in the nation and definitely the most fun. Besides the novelty of getting down and dirty in the mud and the punny names that teams create, the fun themes voted on every year often reflect the relevant pop culture at the time. The past ten years have included “Mudvengers OOzegame,” “Mud Wars: The OOze Awakens,” “Game of OOze,” “OOze is the New Black” and “Keep Calm and OOze On.” 

Jamming out in Jorgensen 

A new policy at Jorgensen this year allows students to get free tickets to shows will bring in more students to witness the amazing performances on stage. In the past 10 years, Jorgensen has featured some pretty notable shows from Hasan Minhaj, Kristin Chenoweth, the Boston Pops Orchestra and the Piano Guys. 

Actors and activists on campus 

Recent years have featured the arrival of peers our age coming to meet us to share their work. David Hogg and Cameron Kasky from the March for Our Lives movement came to speak to students in the past year. Likewise, actress and activist Yara Shahidi from the TV show “Black-ish” came as part of last year’s Metanoia event, with the theme “Youth for Change.” Actor and now-author Avan Jogia of “Victorious” even came by Barnes and Noble on campus to do a reading of his poetry book. 

Hollie Lao is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.