HomeSportsUConn Women’s Basketball All-Decade Team

UConn Women’s Basketball All-Decade Team

She has the accolades, she has the stats and she has the championships. When you think of UConn women’s basketball, Stewart has to be one of the first players who comes to mind.  File photo/The Daily Campus

She has the accolades, she has the stats and she has the championships. When you think of UConn women’s basketball, Stewart has to be one of the first players who comes to mind. File photo/The Daily Campus

It’s the end of the decade, and that means it’s time to roll out the All-Decade teams. Here, we’ll look at the team of the decade for the UConn women’s basketball team. The Huskies had a ridiculous decade, making it to the Final Four in all 10 seasons and winning the National Championship five times. As a result, there is an embarrassment of riches to pick from when making the All-Decade team. 

The team is broken down like a generic starting five (two guards, two forwards and a center) plus a sixth man. No matter how you slice it, there are going to be some legends missing from this team, so I tried to pick the best of the best. 

Here it is: the UConn Women’s Basketball All-2010s Team. 

G: Moriah Jefferson 

Jefferson is one of the best point guards to ever play at UConn. She won four consecutive National Championships from 2013-2016 and was a two-time member of the All-Tournament team for the Final Four. 

Jefferson has the most assists in program history with 659 and also tallied over 1,500 points in her UConn career. She was a three-time All-Conference player and a two-time All-American. As the key ball handler and distributor for one of the greatest dynasties the sport has ever seen, Jefferson is easily the point guard of the decade for UConn. 

G: Katie Lou Samuelson 

Photo in the    public domain

Photo in the public domain

One of the best pure shooters in UConn history, Samuelson earns the second guard spot on the team. Her 382 3-pointers rank second all-time and her .415 3-point field goal percentage ranks sixth. She was absolutely lethal with the ball in her hands behind the line. 

Samuelson is the fifth-highest scorer in program history with over 2,300 points, and she averaged almost 17 points per game in her career. As a hybrid guard-forward, she was also a solid rebounder and passer.  

Samuelson was a three-time All-American and a two-time winner of the American Athletic Conference Player of the Year. She was also part of UConn’s last National Championship team in 2016. 

F: Maya Moore  

Moore’s UConn career only included 1.5 years in this decade, but that was enough to put her on this team because of how great her 2010-11 season was. Moore is arguably the best player in UConn women’s basketball history (which is really saying something), and that season is the reason why. 

Check out these stats: 22.8 points, 8.2 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 2.3 steals per game while shooting over 52% overall and 38% from 3-point range. Wow.  

Needless to say she was an All-American and won every National Player of the Year Award you can imagine that season, including the Naismith, Wooden and AP awards just to name a few. It was the best all-around season ever for a UConn player, and it’s not particularly close. That season, along with her contributions to the 2010 National Championship as the Final Four Most Outstanding Player, makes her an easy pick for the All-Decade team. 

F: Napheesa Collier 

As the other half of the dynamic duo with Samuelson, Collier is one of the best all-around players in UConn history. Geno Auriemma constantly praised her during her time at UConn for her efficiency on both ends of the floor. 

Collier had a fantastic four years as a Husky with three All-American selections, two AAC Player of the Year Awards, three All-AAC selections and an AAC Defensive Player of the Year Award. She ranks third all-time at UConn in points, shots made, and field goal percentage, fourth in rebounds, seventh in blocks and 10th in games played. 

Collier’s best season came in 2018-19 when she averaged a double-double with 20.8 points and 10.8 rebounds per game. She also set the UConn record for most double-doubles in a season with 25. She consistently did her job in every game throughout her career. 

C: Breanna Stewart 

This team would have no validity without Stewart, who was the best player of the decade for UConn. She became just the second player ever to win three Naismith Player of the Year Awards, doing so in her sophomore, junior and senior seasons. She won the AP Player of the Year and AAC Player of the Year in those three seasons as well. 

Stewart also won National Championships in all four of her seasons at UConn and was named the Final Four Most Outstanding Player all four years. She’s a legend at UConn, ranking second all-time in points with 2,676, trailing only Moore. She is the all-time leader in blocks and is fifth all-time in rebounds.  

She has the accolades, she has the stats and she has the championships. When you think of UConn women’s basketball, Stewart has to be one of the first players who comes to mind. 

Sixth Man: Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis 

This was by far the hardest selection. There are so many deserving candidates in what was a special decade for UConn women’s basketball. Shoutout to Gabby Williams, Morgan Tuck, Kia Nurse and Bria Hartley, all of whom have claims to this spot. But in the end, there can only be one sixth man, and I believe Mosqueda-Lewis is the most deserving. 

She won three National Championships in her time at UConn, and she was a major contributor to all three. She was named to the All-Tournament teams in all three years, three times in the Regionals and twice in the Final Four. She even won the Most Outstanding Player Award for the Lincoln Regional in 2014. 

Mosqueda-Lewis was a two-time All-American and All-Conference player in her sophomore and senior seasons, and she was also named the Big East Freshman of the Year in 2012. As good of a 3-point shooter as Samuelson was, Mosqueda-Lewis was even better. She’s UConn’s all-time leader in 3-pointers made and second in 3-point field goal percentage. 

Mosqueda-Lewis averaged over 15 points per game as a Husky and finished her career sixth all-time in overall points with 2,178. She definitely has the credentials for the final spot on my All-Decade team. 

Danny Barletta is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.barletta@uconn.edu. He tweets @dbars_12.