Women’s Basketball: Huskies handle business behind another great game by Williams

0
0
exc-5e131b1261066d7f81435228

Christyn Williams led the way for No. 1 UConn (12-0) with 21 points on 9-of-16 shooting, also adding three rebounds, two assists and a blocked shot.  Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

Christyn Williams led the way for No. 1 UConn (12-0) with 21 points on 9-of-16 shooting, also adding three rebounds, two assists and a blocked shot. Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

UConn went down to Dallas Sunday afternoon for their first road game of the new year and throttled their conference rivals SMU, 80-42.

Christyn Williams led the way for No. 1 UConn (12-0) with 21 points on 9-of-16 shooting, also adding three rebounds, two assists and a blocked shot.

This performance is coming just three days after “one of the best games that she [Williams] has played, not just this year, but since she’s been at Connecticut,” according to head coach Geno Auriemma.

Thursday versus Wichita State at the XL Center, Williams had 19 points on 6-of-13 shooting, also contributing eight rebounds, six assists and two blocks.

As is typical this season for the Huskies, Megan Walker was one of Sunday’s top contributors. She scored 15, grabbed seven rebounds and recorded two assists and two steals.

Then there was Kyla Irwin. The former three-star recruit scored a career-high 14 points and seven assists without missing a shot. She was a perfect 5-of-5 from the field, and 4-for-4 from beyond the arc.

Auriemma told SNY after the game, “When Kyla’s in the game, the ball moves. She finds people and she’s able to make open shots.”

Making open shots and moving the ball to find people is exactly what Irwin contributed to the victory. She doesn’t score big often, but she has filled an important role as the fifth starter as well as Auriemma could have hoped.

Crystal Dangerfield continued her great senior season, scoring 10 points and a season-high eight assists and three steals. The 5-foot-5-inch point guard also recorded her first block of the season.

The game was close in terms of rebounding and fouls, but the Huskies were able to gain an advantage over SMU (6-7) with turnovers. Though UConn turned the ball over 14 times, they forced 22 from the Mustangs, leading to 26 fastbreak points.

UConn’s suffocating defense didn’t stop there. While shooting a solid 48.5 percent from the field on offense, the Huskies held SMU under 30 percent

Make sure you stay tuned for UConn’s next game, as they will face the reigning national champions, the Baylor Bears. Head to head, UConn is 4-2 all time, and has won the last two meetings with No. 6 Baylor (11-1).

UConn and Baylor will play Thursday at the XL Center. That game will tip off at 7 p.m.

Sean Janos is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu. He tweets @seanjanos.