Wonderful winter activities

0
1

Though the snowy season has many people longing for spring, winter is still full of fun activities — both indoors and out. Even as the temperatures are dropping, you don’t have to be stuck inside all the time. There are plenty of things to do, so go have fun and enjoy the snow!

Get moving

Just because it’s cold outside doesn’t mean that you can’t still be active. Cross country skiing will work up a sweat, and you’ll get to see how pretty everything looks in winter while you’re at it. Going ice skating will also get you moving, whether that’s outdoors on a frozen lake or indoors at your local ice rink. Freitas Ice Forum on campus regularly hosts free student-only skate sessions during the weekends. 

Go sledding

Feeling nostalgic for your childhood snow days? Sled down Horsebarn Hill the next time it snows or just go and build a snowman. You’re never too old to play in the snow. It’s a great stress reliever and also gets you outdoors and moving around. Just remember to bring a good pair of gloves and a warm hat. 

table-in-vintage-restaurant-6267.jpg

Stop by a café

Winter is the perfect time to hang out in a café for a day. A café will provide a warm, inviting atmosphere to shelter you from the blustering winds and snow outside. Grab a cup of coffee or hot chocolate and spend the day getting some work done, chatting with friends, reading or writing. 

man-and-woman-looking-at-wall-decor-inside-building-3173265.jpg

Visit an art museum

Another indoor option for winter, art museums allow you to see some amazing masterpieces, and many offer free or reduced admission for students or with a pass. The Yale University Art Gallery is free to the public, as is the on-campus Benton Museum. The Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford has various large collections, and the New Britain Museum of American Art also has more than 8,300 works in its permanent collection. 

woman-wearing-black-dress-shirt-eating-popcorn-1040159.jpg

Watch movies

If you’re more of a couch potato, have a movie marathon one weekend. Invite some friends over and pop some popcorn while you watch some of your favorite films. You can watch movies from a certain genre or just watch some great winter-themed movies like “Cool Runnings,” about the Jamaican bobsled team, “The Cutting Edge,” about partner ice skaters, or “Ice Age” or “Frozen.” 

tray-of-cinnamon-3434526.jpg

Cook some comfort food

Winter is a great time for comfort food. Use all the time that you’re indoors to make baked mac and cheese or grilled cheese and tomato soup. And for dessert, prepare some chocolate lava cakes or cinnamon rolls. You can turn this into a fun activity with friends or amaze your significant other with your culinary talents. 

Become a bookworm

It’s never the wrong time to read a book, but winter is an especially good time to read because of the amount of time spent inside. You can immerse yourself in a different world while you lounge in front of the fireplace. Great winter reads include C. S. Lewis’s fantasy “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe,” Louisa May Alcott’s classic “Little Women” and Kristin Hannah’s “Winter Garden,” a tale that alternates between the present and the siege of Leningrad during World War II. 

All photos from pexels.com.

Stephanie Santillo is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at stephanie.santillo@uconn.edu.