Stars and surprises at this year’s Golden Globes

0
3
exc-5e2651786570d5475418e5ac

The year for the film industry’s top stars started out strong in their showing at the 77th Annual Golden Globes Jan. 5 in Beverly Hills. Hosted by Ricky Gervais for the fifth – and final time, according to the New York Times – the awards show is a prelude and indicator for the Academy Awards, whose nominees were announced earlier this week. From the well-deserved wins across the 25 award categories to some unexpected surprises, this year’s Golden Globes highlighted the current state of film and shows going into the new decade, as well as the societal environment of the time.

Awkwafina’s award makes history for Asian-Americans

The 31-year old actress from New York won the award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy for her acclaimed performance in “The Farewell.” Awkwafina’s win for the comedy-drama based on director Lulu Wang’s life experience and Chinese culture marked the first time a woman of Asian descent has won the Golden Globe in the category.

The rapper-turned-actress won the award over some veteran actresses such as Cate Blanchett (“Where’d You Go, Bernadette”), Beanie Feldstein (“Booksmart”), Emma Thompson (“Late Night”) and Ana de Armas (“Knives Out”). Previously taking comedic roles such as in the films “Crazy Rich Asians” and “Oceans 8,” Awkwafina reacted humbly to her historic win.

“It feels incredible,” she said in the South China Morning Post. “There’s also this feeling that you are going to do more. I hope this is just the beginning.”

Disney misses out on Best Animated Feature

The Big Foot-inspired stop-motion film produced by Laika, “Missing Link,” was a surprise win over the dominant Disney dynasty, which had not one, not two, but three nominations in the Best Animated Feature category – “Frozen 2,” “The Lion King” and “Toy Story 4,” respectively. Despite tanking at the box office earlier last year, the charismatic voice cast – including Hugh Jackman, Zoe Saldana and Zach Galifianakis – and positive reviews from film critics helped the heartwarming adventure movie hand Disney its third loss in the category (in the history of the Golden Globes!)

“Missing Link” was also the first non-computer animated film to win the award, as well as the first non-CGI one to win since 2008, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

“Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood” takes trio of Golden Globes

Directed by Quentin Tarantino, the star-studded ode to Hollywood in the 1960s took home the most awards of the night, capturing three wins out of its five total nominations. These included the Golden Globes for Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy; Tarantino for Best Screenplay and Brad Pitt for Best Supporting Actor. The film beat out competition from movies like “The Irishman,” “Marriage Story” and “Knives Out.”

Women take home the lone wins for Netflix

Arguably the most recognizable streaming service has definitely stepped up its game with its original TV series and movies, and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association acknowledged Netflix’s on-par quality with other studios by granting it the most nominations going into the night – 17, to be exact. With buzz around selections such as “The Irishman” and “Marriage Story,” the service seemed primed to have a sizeable haul of Golden Globes following the show. However, only Laura Dern from “Marriage Story” and Olivia Colman from “The Crown” were able to snag victories in their categories, for Best Actress in a Supporting Role and Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series, Drama, respectively.

Bong Joon Ho’s international success highlights the importance of diversity in the industry

The South Korean dramedy directed by Joon Ho, “Parasite,” deservedly won the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture, Foreign Language after the thriller garnered global acclaim for its plot involving class deception fabricated by a poverty-stricken South Korean family. The film also received nominations for Best Screenplay and Best Director, but its win in the former category is a first for a South Korean movie.

“Once you overcome the one-inch-tall barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many more amazing films,” Joon Ho said in his acceptance speech, drawing attention to the domination of English movies in commercial markets. “Just being nominated along with fellow amazing international filmmakers was a huge honor. I think we use only one language: The cinema.”

A full list of nominees and winners can be found at the Golden Globes website.  

Hollie Lao is a staff writer and the social media manager for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.