Roundtable: What is the best way to prepare eggs?

0
0
exc-5e27a8092ce8b5043917cf49

With light, thin egg whites and a liquid, flavorful core, over-easy eggs are an essential part of a quality breakfast. The Daily Campus staff weighs in on the best way to cook eggs.

Olivia Hickey, Campus Correspondent 

Over easy 

With light, thin egg whites and a liquid, flavorful core, over-easy eggs are an essential part of a quality breakfast. To improve an already quality breakfast, I add hollandaise or Frank’s Red Hot sauce after breaking the yolk, and then dip a piece of multigrain toast; you’ll thank me later. If this matters, an over-easy egg will be a solid addition to a wannabe influencer’s Instagram feed, and if you puncture the egg at the right time you can get a quality boomerang out of it, too. 

Lyric McVoy, Campus Correspondent 

Hard boiled 

Photo by     Mona Sabha Cabrera     from     Pexels

Photo by Mona Sabha Cabrera from Pexels

I know I’m on the minority opinion with this one, but I stand by my decision. The best part of the hard-boiled egg is that it’s convenient and great for on-the-go breakfasts. I tend to wake up late, and having a tray of hard-boiled eggs in the fridge means I’m eating more of a balanced breakfast than the iced coffee I’ll inevitably get before class. If you’re looking for a high-protein, low-calorie breakfast, I couldn’t recommend the hard-boiled egg more. 

Nina Haigis, Campus Correspondent 

Omelette 

Photo by     Engin Akyurt     from     Pexels

Photo by Engin Akyurt from Pexels

The omelette combines the great taste and texture of egg with any topping of your choice. It’s the perfect customizable egg dish. You can make one for a vegetarian, a meat lover or someone who likes a little bit of both. And here’s the kicker: When it comes to incorporating cheese, omelettes are simply superior to all other breakfast options. Every omelette opens up to perfectly melted cheese in the middle, and that’s just not something you can get with any egg. Find a better item on a breakfast menu than an omelette. You can’t. 

Kimberly Nguyen, Associate Digital Editor 

Poached 

Photo by     Daria Shevtsova     from     Pexels

Photo by Daria Shevtsova from Pexels

I love visuals, and there’s nothing more visually appealing than a video of a runny yolk being broken by a utensil of your choice. The runny yoke is perfect with a California eggs benedict. It’s perfect for dipping a piece of buttered toast into. I love enjoying my breakfast, slowing down and taking in the morning, and a poached egg makes me feel just that. Making poached eggs isn’t a slow process either and is fairly easy, with convenient, cheap tools to help you make your next Instagram post (guilty!). Really, the core to this is the ability to break the yoke open . . . it’s just so satisfying. Poached eggs just drown out the competition . . . or run them over in this case.  

Mike Mavredakis, Sports and News Staff Writer 

Over hard 

There is just one way to eat liquid chicken: over hard and in an egg sandwich. Absolutely vile on their own, eggs need to be paired with something. Eggs are very bland and need a lot of help in order to be edible. I recommend a good amount of red pepper flakes, sea salt and chili powder to spice them up. By cooking them over hard, it limits the gushibility—yes I made that word up solely for this roundtable—of the yolk, which is positively disgusting. It also makes the egg take a backseat to let the flavors of the other elements of the sandwich to shine through. An over hard yolk creates a solid base so that your choice of meat or vegetables can be the focus. Personally, a solid bacon, egg and cheese is bar none the best breakfast option there is.   

Peter, Associate Opinion Editor 

Deviled 

Photo by    Rosalind Chang    on    Unsplash

Photo by Rosalind Chang on Unsplash

Deviled eggs are a delicacy, with a name fitting the temptation they bring. As good as they are to eat, though, they are not so good for you. And so, they are best reserved for parties. They are garnished and seasoned and presented in ways that other egg dishes simply cannot compete with. A fried egg or a serving of scrambled will just sit there plainly. I imagine a “plop” noise to describe plating those. Deviled eggs, though, they are placed so cleanly, ready to be devoured first among the hors d’oeuvres at the event. I drown other egg dishes in salt to give them some sort of flavor; I do not need to do that to deviled eggs. These other pedestrian egg dishes cannot even come close to the power of a good deviled egg. While an omelette may be the better mundane angelic brunch dish, it simply doesn’t have the seductive edge or class of these treats. 

The Daily Campus Life Section – Can be reached at life@dailycampus.com