In Case You Missed It: What happened over winter break beyond UConn

0
0
exc-5e290807c2509c20c672709f

Fotis Dulos Arrest  

Jennifer Dulos, mother of five who went missing in May 2019.  (New Canaan Police Department via AP, File)

Jennifer Dulos, mother of five who went missing in May 2019. (New Canaan Police Department via AP, File)

On Jan. 7, Fotis Dulos, the estranged husband of missing New Canaan mom Jennifer Dulos, was arrested and charged with murder, capital murder and kidnapping in connection to her disappearance, according to ABC News. Fotis’s ex-girlfriend, Michelle Troconis, and Kent Mawhinney, an attorney and friend of Fotis’s, were both charged with conspiracy to commit murder. In newly released arrest affidavits, police allege Fotis killed Jennifer inside her home sometime between 8:05 a.m. and 10:25 a.m. on May 24, bound her body with zip ties and put her inside her car while he cleaned up the garage. Later that night, Fotis was captured on surveillance video in Hartford dumping trash bags containing items with Jennifer’s blood on them into various trash cans. A woman matching the description of Troconis accompanied him in the car. Fotis and Troconis both posted bond later on in the week, while Mawhinney is still being held on $2 million at a correctional facility in Cheshire, according to Fox 61. Jennifer’s body has still not been recovered.  

Australia Fires  

The Australia Wildfires a helicopter tackles a wildfire in East Gippsland, Victoria state, Australia.     State Government of Victoria

The Australia Wildfires a helicopter tackles a wildfire in East Gippsland, Victoria state, Australia. State Government of Victoria

Large bushfires have been devastating parts of Australia since last July, but conditions have since worsened for certain areas of the country, according to CNN.

Some of the fires have been linked to lightning strikes in drought-affected areas, while others have been started by humans. New South Wales police have taken legal action against 183 people since November for bushfire-related offenses. More than 7.3 million hectares have been burned across Australia’s six states and 28 people have died, including several volunteer firefighters. It is estimated that millions of animals have died across New South Wales, with close to a billion affected across Australia as a whole. Recent rain, however, has calmed the fires down in badly-burned areas like Melbourne and Canberra, but more than 80 fires are still burning across the region of New South Wales and Victoria, according to BBC News.

Qasem Soleimani Death 

Demonstrations in Iran over the death of Qasem Soleimani by  Fars Photography

Demonstrations in Iran over the death of Qasem Soleimani by Fars Photography

On Jan. 3, the United States launched a drone strike at Baghdad Airport in Iraq, killing Iran’s most powerful military commander Gen. Qasem Soleimani as well as other top military officials, according to BBC News. President Donald Trump later tweeted that Soleimani had “killed or badly wounded thousands of Americans and was plotting to kill many more” and “should have been taken out many years ago.” The attack came days after protesters attacked the United States Embassy in Baghdad, a move which was approved by Soleimani, according to the Pentagon. Iran promised swift retaliation and launched missile attacks on U.S. airbases in Iraq on Jan. 8, injuring a number of U.S. soldiers, according to the Middle East Monitor. In the days after the attacks, citizens took to Twitter to discuss the possibility of World War III and the return of a draft should the assassination lead to all-out war.  

Trump Impeachment 

Trumps official portrait  by Shealah Craighead

Trumps official portrait by Shealah Craighead

On Dec. 18, 2019, the House of Representatives voted to impeach President Donald Trump for abuse of power and obstruction of justice, according to the New York Times.

The impeachment inquiry came after a July 2019 phone call between the president and Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky in which Trump urged Zelensky to investigate Hunter and Joe Biden as well as Ukraine’s involvement in the 2016 elections immediately after a discussion about military aid. On Jan. 15, the impeachment papers were delivered to the Republican majority Senate, where Trump is now on trial to determine whether or not he will be convicted of the crimes he was indicted for in the House. If convicted, he faces removal from office. Trump is now the third president in U.S. history to be impeached.  

Tess Majors Death 

On Dec. 11, 2019, 18-year-old Tessa Majors, a freshman at Barnard College in New York City, died after she was robbed and repeatedly stabbed by a group of juveniles in Morningside Park, just blocks away from her school, according to Time Magazine. A 13-year-old boy was arrested in connection with the stabbing, and the judge ruled there was enough probable cause to charge him with felony murder and felony robbery. Two other 14-year-old boys were taken into custody, questioned and later released. In a statement, Majors’ family reflected on her legacy and life. “We lost a very special, very talented and very well-loved young woman,” the statement said. “Tess shone bright in this world, and our hearts will never be the same.”  

Taylor Harton is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at taylor.harton@uconn.edu.