New to Netflix: Just in time for January

0
2

Netflix screengrab. Photo by  Charles  on  Unsplash

Netflix screengrab. Photo by Charles on Unsplash

You might have already caught up on Netflix’s newest releases this month, but get the full scoop on what was added to the site’s repertoire this past month and what’s leaving – you wouldn’t want to miss anything! New seasons of Netflix originals, as well as some classic movies, are now available for you to stream. 

Netflix original series to binge

“Spinning Out,” the streaming platform’s newest drama series, stars Kaya Scodelario as Kat Baker,  a promising figure skater who had recently sustained a career-ending injury. Instead of being able to compete as a single skater, she is able to continue pursue her Olympic-level ambitions as a pairs skater with the unpredictable Justin Davis (Evan Roderick). Of course, drama ensues as Kat has to juggle her wild partner, hiding her family’s history of mental illness and, of course, competing on the ice. “Spinning Out” premiered at the beginning of the month to fairly solid reviews, so if you’re an ice skating (or drama) fanatic, this might be something to add to the queue. 

The teen comedy “Sex Education” returned with a second season on Jan. 17, which Campus Correspondent Esther Ju rated a 4 out of 5. Some vulgar jokes about the show content underlie the complex character backstories and relationships, which are only further complicated by high school, and of course, their sex lives.  

Return to Greendale and possibly take a trip into hell with our favorite teenage witch, Sabrina Spellman, in the third season of the “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina,” which is coming out on Jan. 24. The latest season picks up where Season 2 left off, as Sabrina (Kiernan Shipka) has to find out a way to rescue her boyfriend, Nicholas Scratch (Gavin Leatherwood), from the depths of Hell. That’s a little heavy for a half-witch who spends more of her time as her normal half at high school. Catch the newest season to see if she’s able to balance it all. 

The series adaptation of “Anne of Green Gables” returns with Season 3 of “Anne with an E,” which is also the final season, to the outrage of fans. This coming-of-age story stars Amybeth McNulty as the titular Anne, a feisty 13-year-old who grew up as an orphan in the late 1890s. The show, the character development and plot all manage to tackle some fairly modern and progressive themes, which is part of the reason for the outrage over the show’s cancellation. Revel in this heartwarming series, despite its unfortunate cancellation.

Hobbit Holes in Hobbiton. Photo by  Thomas Schweighofer  on  Unsplash

Hobbit Holes in Hobbiton. Photo by Thomas Schweighofer on Unsplash

Catch the classics 

You and your friends will be clamoring over which film to watch on movie night. From classics to thrillers, Netflix has got you covered this month. Along with the sci-fi thriller “Inception” starring the beloved Leonardo DiCaprio, you can also stream movies like “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” “A Cinderella Story” and the second and third installments of the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy. If you want more Leo, “Catch Me if You Can” is another great watch, as are the nostalgic “New York Minute” with the Olsen twins and the comedy “Monster-in-Law.” 

Fortunately, not too many entries of note will be leaving Netflix this month, however, you may notice a large Central Perk hole in your list. “Friends” is finally gone, after much protest from the fans and an extension by Netflix. They’ll still be there for you – on HBO though, and in May. 

Hollie Lao is a staff writer and the social media manager for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.