UConn triumphs at the Columbia Challenge

0
7

Photo by Snapwire via    Pexels

Photo by Snapwire via Pexels

The UConn men’s and women’s track and field teams competed in the Columbia Challenge Friday and Saturday at The Armory. The men finished first with 82 points, while the women finished 15th with 13.5 points. 

“It was a good win for us against some very good schools,” men’s head coach Greg Roy said to UConn Athletics.  

The men began Friday with sophomore Josiah Thompson, senior Jordan Torney and sophomore Myles Calhoun reaching the 60-meter dash and hurdle finals, respectively. Thomas was able to place fifth with a 6.86, while Torney finished eighth, coming in at 8.22. Calhoun topped off the Husky trio, coming in ninth at 6.89. 

Field was also able to get off to a solid start on Friday. Freshman David Ajama came in third in the triple jump at 15.43 meters. Junior Matthew Brady finished sixth in the shot put at 16.84 meters, while long jump saw sophomore Dyshon Vaughn place fifth at 7.23 meters.  

Senior Kyle Brackman and junior Will Brisman began the Huskies’ Saturday in the 3000m, with Brackman finishing third at 8:10.29, and Brisman finishing 28th, coming in at a 8:31.84. In the 1600m, redshirt junior Eric Van Der Els was able to place second at a 4:08.45.  

The 200 and 400-meter dashes saw strong Husky performances as well by freshman Joseph O’Brien and sophomore Wellington Ventura, with O’Brien coming in fifth at 21.74 and Ventura coming in fourth at 48.42. Ventura and O’Brien also made up half of the 4×400 team for UConn. Alongside Tyler Green and Noah Woodman, they finished third, coming in at 3:13.85 behind BYU and South Carolina.  

Junior Daniel Claxton and senior Sebastian Castano also impressed for the Huskies on Saturday, with Castano coming in second in the weight throw with a throw of 19.2 meters, and Claxton coming in second in the high jump at 2.05 meters. Furthermore, pole vault saw freshman Travis Snyder come in sixth at 4.95 meters.  

“The good news is that we won, the better news is that we have a lot we can do with this. There are places we still need to tighten up,” Roy said.  

On the women’s side, sophomore Emma Chee began the field campaign, finishing third in pole vault at 3.90 meters. Saturday saw freshman Patricia Mroczkowski show out in the high jump, coming in fourth at 1.70 meters. Sophomore Mikayla Rodgers participated in the weight throw and came in seventh at 17.62 meters.  

Junior Mia Nahom and senior Danielle Jordan began UConn’s running campaign. Nahom finished ninth in the 3000 meter with a 9:29.99, while Jordan finished 18th, coming in at 9:50.55. Sophomore Randi Burr participated in the one mile and finished 24th, coming in at 5:06.21. 

“Really nice performances from Mia and Danielle in the 3k, both with PR’s,” women’s head coach Lindsey Crevoiserat said to UConn Athletics.  

Sophomore Shanelle Colmon participated in the 200-meter dash, coming in 23rd at 25.02, while fellow sophomore Dejanee Parms finished 27th in the 400-meter dash at 57.26. They also made up two of the four participants in the 4×400. Alongside sophomore Ayoola Gbolade and freshman Katherine Mueck, they finished 12th at 3:50.12. 

“Good weekend for the Huskies. The women are really starting to assert themselves and they have a huge meet next week,” Crevoiserat said.  

Both squads now look towards the New England Championship in Boston, which is set to take place Friday, Jan. 31.  

Sebastian Garay-Ortega is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached at sebastian.garay-ortega@uconn.edu. He tweets @sebastian__305.