Asian Beat: Peggy Gou

0
8

Peggy Gou is a South Korean DJ, record producer, and fashion designer. Gou left fashion school to pursue her goal of being the first Korean woman to play in Berghain. Some highly recommended songs by the Berlin-based artist are “Starry Night”, “It Makes You Forget (Itgehane)” and “Hungboo (DJ-Kicks) “.  Photo courtesy of    houseoffrankie.com

Peggy Gou is a South Korean DJ, record producer, and fashion designer. Gou left fashion school to pursue her goal of being the first Korean woman to play in Berghain. Some highly recommended songs by the Berlin-based artist are “Starry Night”, “It Makes You Forget (Itgehane)” and “Hungboo (DJ-Kicks) “. Photo courtesy of houseoffrankie.com

Writer’s Note: I wanted to create a fun column for my last semester as a writer at The Daily Campus. When I first started as a designer first semester of my freshmen year, I was timid, shy and hid behind my computer most of the time. The only way to express my personality without having to open my mouth was to play songs that I loved. It’s only fitting that I end my time at The Daily Campus introducing readers to some Asian musical artists that I vibe with, touching on all different genres of music. I’m passionate about Asian representation in all forms of media, music being my favorite form. I’m open to listening to new artists as well. If you have any suggestions on who I should tune into next, send me a message! 

On that note, with a winter storm approaching, I want to escape to a beach. Specifically, I want to escape to a beach in Bali listening to South Korean-born DJ Peggy Gou. The beats in her house music on the dance floor guide you into a constant head nod whether or not you’re fully embracing the music with your whole body. The synthetic, smooth lyrics really add to the beach club vibes that make Peggy Gou a great addition to a beach playlist.  

I first listened to “Starry Night” and fell in love with the keyboard and beats that overlaid it. That was followed with a listen to her “Moment EP.” I was also drawn to the cover art of the song and EP as well.  

The lyrics themselves are in Korean. Gou is very appreciative of her Asian heritage, as can be seen in her music and how she presents herself. “Do you know when you see someone Asian and you’re like, ‘I’m Asian too’? What do you call that? It shouldn’t be about nationality, but I feel very proud to be Asian,” Gou said in response to a comment about what she is doing for representation in Wonderland Magazine.

A little bit about her, Gou learned to beatmatch in Korea in 2009 and continued to learn while studying at the London College of Fashion, according to her Spotify About page. Ultimately, she left her fashion degree behind to pursue her goal of being the first Korean woman to play at Berghain, a nightclub in Berlin, Germany, according to Dazed 100.

This Berlin-based artist is not only a DJ, she is also a record producer and fashion designer. I’m very envious of Gou’s signature style. She pulls off unique outfits, as can be seen on her Instagram page (@peggygou_), sporting funky stripes. Personally, I’m really into her animal and animal print outfits.  

From being an avid follower of her music and Instagram page, I saw that she was returning from a well-deserved vacation in Bali, ready to create more music. I was bummed when I saw that she had performed at Potato Head Beach Club, a beach club I was lucky enough to experience last June. Until my next beach trip, I’ll be listening to “Starry Night” among all her other house music on repeat and anxiously waiting for her next audio concoctions. And maybe pick up some Korean to really understand the depth of her music.   

Three Songs For Your Playlist: 

1. Starry Night – Edit and Original Mix 

2. It Makes You Forget (Itgehane) – Edit 

3. Hungboo (DJ-Kicks)