UConn Women’s Ice Hockey: Huskies look to keep the good times rolling vs Northeastern and Providence 

0
1
exc-5e3384985acf44089423d5e5

The Women's Hockey team defeated the Maine Black Bears 2-1 this past Friday at the Freitas Ice Forum, snapping a three-game losing streak while also snagging two Hockey East points. The Huskies would then go on the following day to beat Maine again, with the score 5-2. Photo by Sofia Sawchuk of the Daily Campus

The Women’s Hockey team defeated the Maine Black Bears 2-1 this past Friday at the Freitas Ice Forum, snapping a three-game losing streak while also snagging two Hockey East points. The Huskies would then go on the following day to beat Maine again, with the score 5-2. Photo by Sofia Sawchuk of the Daily Campus

The Huskies (14-11-1, 11-7-1 Hockey East) will travel to Boston Friday afternoon and try to match their season-high win streak of three games as they take on Northeastern University. From there, they’ll come home Saturday and prepare to face off against Providence at the Freitas Ice Forum. Following a pair of statement wins against Maine this past weekend, the next two games are as important for the team as any played so far.  

The Huskies snapped out of their offensive funk and scored seven goals in last weekend’s two games after failing to score for three straight. Their five-goal performance on Saturday was the sixth time this season the team recorded five or more goals in a game and the first time since they scored six goals in a 6-0 win against Holy Cross on Jan. 4.  

If they want to win for the third straight game, they’ll have to go against history. UConn comes into the Friday afternoon matchup with a 5-30-6 lifetime record against Northeastern. They were shutout in back-to-back games by Northeastern on the weekend of Jan. 17, getting outscored 7-0 in those games. 

Northeastern is currently playing superb hockey. They have won seven games in a row to improve their overall record to 22-3-1 and 19-2-0 in the conference. They score an average of four goals per game while allowing only .9 to their opponents. Leading the way for Northeastern is Swiss forward Alina Mueller who has 16 goals and 30 assists in 26 games this season. Northeastern has outscored their opponents by 30 when Mueller is on the ice.  

Though history is not on UConn’s side against Northeastern, their matchup with Providence is much more favorable. They enter the Saturday afternoon contest with a 14-21-5 record against and an 8-7-2 record at Freitas, where the game will be played.  

Overall, Providence sits at 14-10-2 on the year and 11-8-0 in the conference. They score 2.5 goals per game and allow 2.1. Their current scoring leader is Swedish sophomore Sara Hjalmarsson, who has collected 15 goals and nine assists in 24 games. Hjalmarsson did not score in either of Providence’s two previous matchups against UConn, of which her team won one.  

Ben Berg is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ben.berg@uconn.edu. He tweets @bergywergy3030.