Melissa’s Menu: Pancakes two ways

0
1
exc-5e38c312dd96790c98ef5c5d

Pancakes are one of my favorite breakfast foods. They’re light, fluffy and versatile. Pancakes are sweet but still have some savory flavor to them, which in my opinion is what makes them so special. Their relatively neutral base makes it easy to add toppings or special ingredients for extra flavor and dimension. This week’s Melissa’s Menu features two pancake recipes that are relatively easy to make but taste gourmet. The first recipe, strawberry shortcake pancakes, feature a rich buttermilk base and a delicious homemade strawberry syrup. The second recipe, cinnamon roll pancakes, takes a classic dessert and turns it into breakfast, complete with a cinnamon swirl and vanilla glaze. These two indulgent recipes are sure to turn any breakfast into the best meal of the day. 

Strawberry shortcake pancakes 

Ingredients 

For strawberry syrup: 

Photo via tasty.co

Photo via tasty.co

2 cups of strawberries, cut into quarters 

1 cup of water 

1 cup of sugar 

1 tablespoon of cornstarch, optional 

1 additional tablespoon of water, optional 

For buttermilk pancakes: 

1 egg 

3 tablespoons of melted butter 

1 1/2 cups of buttermilk 

1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour 

2 tablespoons of sugar 

1 tablespoon of baking powder 

1 teaspoon of baking soda 

1/8 teaspoon of salt 

Butter 

Whipped cream, optional 

Directions 

In a saucepan over medium heat, add the quartered strawberries, water and sugar. Stir until combined and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. If the syrup is too thin, mix together cornstarch and water and add it to the strawberries. Stir again and cook until thickened for about five minutes. Set aside.  

In a medium bowl, mix together the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry and gently mix until incorporated. Be sure to not over-mix. Heat one tablespoon of butter on a skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup of batter to the skillet and cook until bubbles form on the surface of the pancake. Flip and set aside. Stack the pancakes and top with strawberry syrup and a dollop of whipped cream. 

Cinnamon roll pancakes 

Ingredients 

Cinnamon swirl: 

2/3 cup packed light brown sugar 

5 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter 

1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon 

Icing: 

1 1/4 cups of confectioners sugar 

Photo via foodnetwork.com

Photo via foodnetwork.com

4 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter 

3 tablespoons of milk 

Pinch of salt  

Pancakes: 

1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour  

3 tablespoons of granulated sugar 

1 tablespoon of baking powder 

1/4 teaspoon of fine salt 

1/8 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg 

1 1/4 cups of milk, at room temperature 

1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract 

2 large eggs 

3 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter, plus more as needed 

Directions 

For the swirl, combine the brown sugar, butter and cinnamon in a small bowl and mix until smooth. Pour into a small plastic resealable bag and cut 1/4 inch off a corner and store it with the opening upright in a small glass until ready to use. To make the icing, combine the confectioners’ sugar, butter, milk and salt in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth and set side.  

To make the pancake mix, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in a medium bowl until combined. Whisk together the milk, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl until well combined. Whisk the butter into the milk mixture then add the milk mixture to the flour mixture, whisking until smooth and well combined. Melt one teaspoon of the butter in a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Ladle about a 1/4 cup of the batter into the skillet.  

Starting from the middle of the batter, pipe out a large swirl of the cinnamon swirl mixture with the outermost part of the swirl near the edge of the batter. Make one or two more pancakes, taking care to keep them evenly spaced apart, and repeat with the swirl. Cook until bubbles break the surface of the pancakes and the undersides are golden brown, which should take about two minutes. Flip with a spatula and cook about one minute more. Serve hot and swirl-side up, or transfer to a platter and cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more butter to the skillet as needed. Drizzle with icing before serving. 

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.