Track and Field: UConn sweeps New England Championships

0
11

The UConn men's track and field team hosted a heptathlon in Hugh S. Greer Field House. A UConn men’s track athlete jumps over a beam in practice.  Photo by Charlotte Lao, Photo Editor/The Daily Campus

The UConn men’s track and field team hosted a heptathlon in Hugh S. Greer Field House. A UConn men’s track athlete jumps over a beam in practice. Photo by Charlotte Lao, Photo Editor/The Daily Campus

For the 25th time in program history, the UConn men’s and women’s track and field teams have swept the New England Championships. Following a dominating performance which saw a combined total of 342.80 points, head coach Greg Roy is satisfied with the results ahead of the month-end conference championships.  

“If I had to sum it up, they looked strong and tough pretty much across the board,” Roy said. “With four weeks to go we will sit down and plan out each athlete and the next steps in both training and competition in order to be at their best, when it means the most.”  

Heading into the two-day meet as defending champions, the Huskies ended the opening day with the lead in the men’s field events standings. Freshman Travis Synder clinched the Huskies’ first win, after leading a sweep in the men’s pole vault. Elsewhere in field events, sophomore Dyshon Vaughn was second in the long jump with a 7.43-meter effort. Sprint hurdler Jordan Torney was third with a 7.17-meter leap. In the men’s high jump, defending champion Daniel Claxton nabbed the win with a jump of 2.14 meters, in a season’s best performance.  

On the track, junior co-captain Torney finished second in the 60-meter hurdle, also registering 8.04 seconds for a new personal record, bettering his previous best of 8.16 seconds. The sophomore duo of Josiah Thompson and Myles Calhoun were second and third respectively in the 60-meter dash.  

The UConn men's track and field team hosted a heptathlon in Hugh S. Greer Field House. A UConn track athlete launches a shot put.  Photo by Charlotte Lao, Photo Editor/The Daily Campus

The UConn men’s track and field team hosted a heptathlon in Hugh S. Greer Field House. A UConn track athlete launches a shot put. Photo by Charlotte Lao, Photo Editor/The Daily Campus

Despite a change in coaches at the beginning of the season, the Huskies women’s team still managed to register impressive performances to lift the women’s trophy. A tally of 125.33 points saw the team outlasting Northeastern to take the top spot. Facing odds stemming from health issues and other technical glitches, the team still produced a satisfying win.  

“The ladies have a completely new set of coaches, and the direction of the program changed a little bit, to where this is an important meet for them,” Roy said. “The team wasn’t really built for this kind of meet, so we had some holes in the event lineup, as well as some health issues that we had to deal with.”  

On the track, the team of Mia Nahom, Celia Chacko, Solange Wright and senior Danielle Jordan took first in the distance medley, posting 11:52.46. The women’s 200-meter saw sophomore Shanelle Colmon finish first in 24.75 seconds. The women’s team also clinched another big win in the 4×800-meter relay with a time of 9:05.25.  

Sophomore Emma Chee was also responsible for one of 17 PRs set at the meet by the Huskies, following her second-place finish in the pole vault, clearing 4.00 meters. Junior Kelly Ward was third in the pentathlon, ending with 3487 points for a new PR. Ward also managed to place first and second in the long jump and high jump, respectively.  

As the Huskies prepare for the conference championships later this month, they hit the road in two weeks for the David Hemery Valentine Invitational at Boston University. 

Nicholas Martin is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at nicholas.r.martin@uconn.edu.