UConn opens center for materials processing data

0
1

The opening of the new Center for Materials Processing Data fits in with the university’s greater goal of expanding research and resources in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields as part of the Next Generation Connecticut (NextGenCT) initiative.   Photo by Maggie Chafouleas/The Daily Campus

The opening of the new Center for Materials Processing Data fits in with the university’s greater goal of expanding research and resources in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields as part of the Next Generation Connecticut (NextGenCT) initiative.

Photo by Maggie Chafouleas/The Daily Campus

The University of Connecticut recently opened a new Center for Materials Processing Data in collaboration with Worcester Polytechnic Institute and Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of the University at Buffalo. CMPD’s director is Dr. Lesley Frame, assistant professor of materials science and engineering at UConn.  

Materials processing is a field within materials science and engineering that focuses on treating materials to be used in manufacturing. Frame explained CMPD seeks to find data about relationships between materials and the conditions they’re used under through computer modeling. This data can be used to determine which materials are best for engineering projects. 

“My research is focused on manufacturing, so I look at processing property relationships mostly in metals. I focus on thermal processing, machining and mechanical processing,” Frame said. 

In a Nov. 2019 press release, CMPD explained they’ll begin by looking at an emerging field called transient materials.  

“The Center’s pilot project will build on the flow stress data available in the Atlas of Formability by generating rich sets of complementary transient materials data for several common industry alloys,” read the press release. “These data can be used to establish mathematical relationships that describe materials behavior as a function of processing parameters.”  

“A consortium of key academic and industry organizations, CMPD is dedicated to the stewardship of materials data for modeling of material and process design via computational materials engineering,” read the press release.   Photo by Maggie Chafouleas/The Daily Campus

“A consortium of key academic and industry organizations, CMPD is dedicated to the stewardship of materials data for modeling of material and process design via computational materials engineering,” read the press release.

CMPD will start by looking at the flow stress, or the amount of stress required to keep a material flowing, for transient materials. Transient materials are materials which disappear almost without a trace after a specified period of time, which makes them more environmentally friendly.  

Other collaborators on CMPD include Pratt & Whitney, MTS Systems Corporation, Weber Metals and ASM International.  

“This commitment, operating to solidify its formation, has allowed CMPD to green light a pilot project focused on material flow behavior as a function of temperature, strain rate, composition and prior microstructure processing,” read the press release about the collaboration.  

This project will be just the beginning of the data CMPD plans to collect.  

The opening of CMPD fits in with the university’s greater goal of expanding research and resources in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields as part of the Next Generation Connecticut (NextGenCT) initiative. NextGenCT began in 2014 and will span 10 years.  

Part of UConn’s contribution to the program is the new Innovation Partnership Building and the equipment therein, which was constructed as part of NextGenCT.  

More information about CMPD can be found at mse.engr.uconn.edu. 

Grace McFadden is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at grace.mcfadden@uconn.edu.