UConn juniors give StudentAdmin a facelift

0
0

Two University of Connecticut juniors decided that StudentAdmin needed a makeover and created an extension to Google Chrome for students to download.  Photo courtesy of    http://newstudentadmin.com

Two University of Connecticut juniors decided that StudentAdmin needed a makeover and created an extension to Google Chrome for students to download. Photo courtesy of http://newstudentadmin.com

Two University of Connecticut juniors decided that StudentAdmin needed a makeover and created an extension to Google Chrome for students to download. 

“Everyone hates using StudentAdmin.  It’s a pain to use and it’s really outdated,” co-creator Andrew Burns said. “You install [the extension] to your Chrome browser and whenever you go to their homepage, it replaces it with a new homepage with the links that actually matter.  [Things like] grades, transcripts, schedule builder.” 

Burns, a sixth-semester computer science major, said it took about two weeks for him and his friend and co-creator Tim Noto, a sixth-semester manufacturing and engineering management major, to develop and test the extension. 

To date, about 250 people have downloaded the extension and are taking advantage of the new look to Student Admin, which was first introduced on the UConn Buy or Sell page (top). 

“Everyone loves it; they have great things to say,” Burns said of the feedback thus far. 

“Honestly, so useful, I don’t have to spend 10 minutes searching for my transcript anymore,” eighth-semester computer science and engineering major Aakash Balaji commented on Burns’ Buy or Sell post. 

Burns said he hopes to make another extension for advisors and faculty use.  He hopes that UConn will pick up the idea and use it as the standard for Student Admin for all users. 

“I really want everyone to use it,” Burns said. 

Agriculture and Resource Economics major and 2019 UConn graduate Shaina Stamp commented on the post, praising the pair of inventors. 

“You deserve a job at the university getting paid for this,” Stamp wrote.  “Your skills and insights are so impressive and useful to the student body!” 

Burns and Noto are no stranger to web development at UConn.  They also created HungryButton rival munchbunch.co and an Alexa skill specific to the UConn community. 

“I’m trying to think of problems to solve around UConn,” Burns said.  

Luke Hajdasz is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu.