Column: Best and worst January transfer in the Premier League

0
2

Tottenham's manager Jose Mourinho reacts during the English Premier League soccer match between Tottenham Hotspur and Norwich City at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London Wednesday.  Photo courtesy of Matt Dunham/AP Photo

Tottenham’s manager Jose Mourinho reacts during the English Premier League soccer match between Tottenham Hotspur and Norwich City at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London Wednesday. Photo courtesy of Matt Dunham/AP Photo

This January was a quiet — some would even say disappointing — transfer window in the Premier League. That isn’t to say however there weren’t notable transfers that went under the radar. Today, I’ll go over what I believe was the best and worst transfer from in and out of England. 

Best: Bruno Fernandes (Sporting CP to Manchester United) 

I hate to admit it, but United actually had a pretty decent transfer window — mainly because of their purchase of Bruno Fernandes, but I digress. 

Fernandes essentially saved United’s transfer window, and for good reason: He’s incredibly good. Many fans saw how he was performing at Sporting CP, and from his long shots that end up going to the back of the net to his skills on the ball, it’s clear why other English clubs wanted him. 

While there were rumors of the Portuguese midfielder joining other Premier League clubs like Tottenham Hotspur last transfer window, he ended up signing for the Red Devils for $60.5 million. Even though he’s only played one game under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, I think he’ll adapt to the league and will be a key player for Manchester United. 

All I will say is, Sporting have given players to United that end up being legends at Old Trafford: Nani and Cristiano Ronaldo, for example. Will history repeat itself? Only time, and Ole’s questionable tactics, will tell. 

>
On Thursday, Premier League clubs will have a meeting and be given three options for transfer deadlines: keep the current deadline, or closing the window before the season starts, closing the window at the end of August, or closing the domestic window before the start of the season and close the international window at the end of August. 

Worst: Chelsea FC (spoiler alert, they didn’t sign anyone) 

The fact that Chelsea’s transfer ban was lifted and they didn’t make a single signing is shocking, and will likely hurt the club in terms of where they’ll stand in the Premier League table. For those unaware, Chelsea were originally banned from the 2019 summer and January windows for signing players under the age of 18. 

Lampard’s Chelsea were in dire need of a striker this window, as they wanted a replacement for 33-year-old Olivier Giroud. Despite rumors of them getting Edinson Cavani or Dries Mertens, they were not able to get anyone, which meant they could not sell Giroud. 

This can be detrimental simply because of how young Lampard’s squad is. Because of their ban, Lampard had to resort to Chelsea’s youth players. That isn’t to say Chelsea have a poor youth system — just take a look at Tammy Abraham and Mason Mount, for instance. 

As they currently sit in fourth with 41 points, they are treading water for Champions League qualification as Tottenham Hotspur sit below them with 37 points. The Blues play their next Premier League match against Manchester United on Feb. 17, and should they lose before their London derby against the Lilywhites they could maintain fifth place and go back to the Europa League. 

Honorable Mention: Steven Bergwijin (PSV to Tottenham Hotspur) 

I know this may seem a bit biased, but if you knew the kind of player Steven Bergwijn was like at PSV, then you knew it was imminent that he would make an impact for Tottenham, and at the time of writing he already has. 

There isn’t much to say about the Dutch player since he’s only played one game, but after their 2-0 victory against Manchester City, Bergwijn said fans haven’t yet seen what he can truly produce. As a Spurs fan, that has me excited since I’ve seen his performance from PSV highlights and because of the possible chemistry on the field with him and other new Spurs signings: Giovani Lo Celso, Tanguy Ndombele and, hopefully soon, Ryan Sessegnon. 

Jose “The Special One” Mourinho is starting to show his magic. 

As clubs throughout the rest of the season will look at who to bring in the summer, they will have the power to change how the future transfer windows will function. 

Many clubs agree that the last option is the greatest option out of the three and for good reason. It would make sense to pick this option since it’s a hybrid of the first two with the inclusion of the international window closing. However, because England seceded from the European Union on Jan. 31, this will mean that Premier League clubs will only be able to sign international players 18 or older. 

David Sandoval is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at david.sandoval@uconn.edu. He tweets @sandovalduconn.