Melissa’s Menu: Freezer-friendly breakfast burritos

0
1

Making time for breakfast can be hard, especially if you have busy mornings. Lately, I find myself barely having time to eat breakfast, let alone cook up something nutritious. I usually fall back on frozen Eggo waffles or instant oatmeal, neither of which is healthy or satisfying. This got me thinking of possible solutions, and I found one that is easy, healthy and delicious: Freezer-friendly breakfast burritos. These can be made in bulk ahead of time and stored in the freezer for up to three months. This recipe is really easy to make and will leave you super satisfied. You can customize your burritos to include different meats, cheeses or veggies than the ones recommended below, or you can make different combinations for each day of the week. All you have to do is pop one in the microwave or oven each morning and you have a tasty on-the-go breakfast. 

Ingredients

2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced small 

1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced 

Photo via thekitchn.com

Photo via thekitchn.com

1 diced small red onion 

1 tablespoon of vegetable oil 

1 teaspoon of kosher salt, divided 

12 large eggs 

1/4 cup of whole milk 

2 tablespoons of unsalted butter 

1 1/2 cups of shredded Monterey Jack cheese 

12 (10- to 12-inch) flour tortillas, at room temperature 

Optional toppings: Cooked sausage, bacon and salsa 

Directions

Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare space in the freezer for a baking sheet. Combine the potatoes, peppers and onions together in a medium bowl. Drizzle with the oil and a half teaspoon of the salt, and toss to coat. Transfer to a baking sheet — spreading veggies in an even layer — and roast for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.  

While the veggies roast, whisk together the eggs, milk and remaining half teaspoon of salt until combined. Melt the butter in a 10-inch skillet (cast iron or nonstick would be ideal) over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are mostly set but still moist, which should take about four to five minutes. Remove from the heat.  

Photo via thekitchn.com

Photo via thekitchn.com

To assemble the burritos, tear off 12 squares of aluminum foil. Have your cheese and tortillas standing by. Place one tortilla on top of a piece of foil. Sprinkle two tablespoons of cheese onto the tortilla. Top the cheese with 1/4 cup of room-temperature roasted vegetables, followed by two heaping tablespoons of the scrambled eggs, also room-temperature, and any extra toppings. Roll the burrito tightly by folding the sides over the filling, rolling from the bottom up. Wrap the burrito tightly in the aluminum foil and repeat with filling and folding the remaining burritos. Freeze the burritos in a single layer on a baking sheet — they’ll freeze faster and more uniformly this way. Store frozen burritos in a gallon-sized zip-top freezer bag for longer-term freezing. 

To eat: Unwrap and microwave on high for one to two minutes, until warmed through, or heat in the oven at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. 

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.