Skincare tips for the winter weather

0
1
exc-5e43619d18e6e3448f115541

Cold temperatures calls for changing your skincare routine to combat the weather. From switching your shower routine to staying hydrated, tweaking your skincare routine can do wonders for your skin this winter.  Photo by     Moose Photos     from     Pexels

Cold temperatures calls for changing your skincare routine to combat the weather. From switching your shower routine to staying hydrated, tweaking your skincare routine can do wonders for your skin this winter. Photo by Moose Photos from Pexels

You’re probably well aware of the havoc that winter’s harsh weather wreaks on your skin. No matter your skin type, you no doubt have felt the effects of dryness, irritation and flakiness from the cold temperatures and are sick of chapped lips, cracked heels and patchy cheeks. And if you have previous skin conditions like eczema or dermatitis, those are only exacerbated by the season. To combat these skin terrors, you need to change up your typical skin routine. Here are some tips and products you should try out to keep your skin healthy and hydrated. 

Switch up your showering routine 

I know you love your hot shower as much as the next person, but unfortunately, extended exposure to heat isn’t the best for your skin. Not only is the shock from “cold air to hot shower” bad for your skin, according to dermatologist Dr. Elizabeth Hale, who spoke to Bustle, but the overexposure to the hot temperature is bound to dry your skin out. So either shorten your hot showers, or use lukewarm water. 

Moisturize right after you shower 

Applying hydrating lotion after you shower takes advantage of your moist skin, which absorbs the lotion better. Don’t be afraid to be generous, especially on notoriously dry areas such as your hands, elbows and knees. You might want to pass on your usual favorite scented lotions like from Bath and Body for more intensive options like Vaseline, Cerave or Nivea. They’re less expensive and more rich in texture, but not greasy. If you still want to indulge in your signature Pearberry or Warm Vanilla Sugar scent, then maybe use those lotions in the morning and the more intense ones at night. And don’t forget about your face! Use a face cream based on your skin type (dry, oily or combination), as regular body lotion won’t cut it for your delicate face skin. 

Don’t forget SPF 

Even if you don’t feel the intensity of the sun’s rays as much as you would in the summer, don’t forgo SPF in your daily routine. Protecting your exposed skin, such as your face, helps “prevent premature aging” and “keep[s] a youthful and radiant complexion,” according to Dr. Hale. Using face cream with light SPF, such as SPF 15, is perfect for when you’re out and about and won’t clog your pores. 

Use acne treatments sparingly 

If you use any products to treat your acne with ingredients such as benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid, you may already know that those ingredients work to dry out the acne. However, this also dries out your skin in general and probably makes me more flaky. In the winter, use items with these ingredients less frequently, or make sure to balance out their use with a moisturizer. 

Stay hydrated 

One of the most obvious, but also forgotten, tips is to keep yourself hydrated with lots of water. Remember to drink water throughout the day, and it will keep your energy up, as well as keep your skin hydrated. 

Hollie Lao is a staff writer and the social media manager for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.